Can't Lose Those Last 10 Lbs, Will It Mess Up the Results of my Tummy Tuck?

I had 4 back to back pregnancies and was on bed rest with pre-eclampsia for the last one. I ended up weighing 95 lbs more than I did before my first pregnancy. I've been working out super hard for a year but am having a hard time losing those last ten pounds. If I go ahead and have my tummy tuck done now, will it impede the results of my tummy tuck? I know a minimal amount of weight will be lost from the tummy tuck, but I am hoping this might jump start my metabolism again so to speak. Thanks!

10 pounds away from goal weight is perfect for a tummy tuck!

+2

I wish all my patients were within 10 pounds of their goal weight when they had their tummy tucks done!  You are already way ahead of most---go for your tummy tuck and enjoy your results!  You may find that you don't have 10 pounds to lose once you have that surgery--not because of changes on the scale, but because of changes in your shape.

An extra 10 pounds will NOT significantly affect a Tummy Tuck Result

+2
While it would be great if all of our patients presenting for Tummy Tuck surgery were within 10 pounds of their ideal weight, this is not always possible. I wouldlove it if all my Tummy Tuck patients were even within 10 pounds of their ideal weight. In your case, you should do well with surgery and will probably get a great result. Dr. Aldea

How much weight should one loose before an abdominoplasty

+2

A person's ideal weight is one of a number of guidelines used in helping to determine whether a person is a candidate for surgery. Being within 10 pounds of your goal should not deter you from surgery. Such a small amount of weight loss will not affect the results of your surgery.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Good tummy tuck result even if 10 pounds overweight.

+2

Hi.

You can do it now.  You will have a flat stomach and feel and look much better, even if you are still 7 or 8 pounds overweight. And it may motivate you to lose a few more pounds.  The extra weight will not ruin the result.

In my opinion, it is not true that you need to be at your ideal weight to have cosmetic surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tucks and weight loss

+2

In general we recommend patients getting to or close to their goal weight before performing a tummy tuck, but usually 10 lbs or so really won't effect the final result.  It's important to remember however that the goal of the tummy tuck is a cosmetic improvement and has nothing to do with weight loss or improving a person's metabolism, and so as long as you and your surgeon are on the same page in terms of goals and expected results of the procedure, you should do very well.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Can't lose those last 10 lbs, mess up the results of my tummy tuck

+1

Most likely no, but you need a detailed informed consent discussion with you surgeon to fully understand this issue. Return to this surgeon prior to having the operation. From MIAMI Dr. B

If you are within 10 pounds of ideal, go ahead with cosmetic surgery

+1

If you are that close it is fine to go ahead with the surgery and not have to worry about becoming loose if you lose the 10 pounds afterward.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Loosing Weight for Surgery

+1

If you are within 10 to 15 pounds, then I would suggest going ahead with your surgery.  Also, my advice is to have your surgery at your "realistic" weight and not a weight that a chart says you should be.  The reason for this is that if you loose a bunch of weight for surgery, you are likely just going to gain it back unless you make significant changes to your daily routine which include diet modification and regular exercise.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Lose weight after tummy tuck

+1

Do not do surgery with the hope that it will jump start your metabolism. Many people come to surgery with this attitude and it generally does not work that way.

Tummy tuck and normal weight status

+1

It sounds as though you have done every thing reasonable to get to a certain goal weight.  As your body changes with pregnancies and age it is not always possible to get to that goal weight.  If your weight is stabled and reasonably normal, you are ready for a tummy tuck.  Ideal body weight is rarely achieved so you need to be at a healthy body weight that is better judged by BMI.  Your BMI should definitely be below 30 and preferably below 25.  I hope this helps.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon