Air in Chest After Breast Reduction?

I'm post-op Day 4 for a BR. Above my left breast, there is an area that is very tender and hard. It feels like an implant is in there. Of course it's not. Could there be free air trapped in my chest area? I had free air migrate from my abdomen to my chest to my shoulder over a five day period after a c-section. It was the most excruciating pain I have ever had. Nobody was able to help. Could air be what I'm feeling above my left breast after a BR?

Tender and Hard after Breast Reduction?

+1

Postoperative  breast patients who experience specific areas of swelling that they describe as “very tender and hard” would likely benefit from direct examination by their plastic surgeon. This description is more consistent with a complication such as hematoma, as opposed to a  collection of air (  crepitus, which feels more like  packaging material/bubbles). 

Hematoma after breast reduction should be dealt with right away.

+1

Hi.

Of course I don't know what is wrong, but it could be a hematoma (collection of blood), which may need to be drained.   See your surgeon.  It is not air.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hello

+1
The only person to be able to determine what is going on is going to be your surgeon. The sooner you're able to see him the better

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

BAir in Chest after Breast Reduction

+1

Dear CaliKMP:

Air is soft and crackles like cellophane when you push on it. A hard, firm, tender mass after breast reduction surgery should be brought to the attention of your plastic surgeon for evaluation. Call them today.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon