Worried About 6 Day Post Op Drooping of Lower Eyelids from Lower Blepharoplasty. What Can I Do to Help Resolve This? (photo)

I am 46 and have a negative vector where my eyes are forward and my cheekbones from profile view are behind the eye level. I had a lower blepharoplasty 6 days ago. By day 5 one was eye was really tearing up and both were droopy under the inner corners. Very scary. It's day 6 post op and my plastic surgeon who I emailed a pic to on day 5 told me to use upward circular massaging motions to cure. He said it would resolve but is there more I can do to assist this without leaving it up to fate?

This will improve with time.

+3

It is scary.  You actually had a big midface surgery.  Looking at your before pictures, I would have recommended fillers as an alternative to putting fat grafts into the lower eyelid and cutting the lower eyelid just below the eyelashes.  Massage of the lids can make a difference but it may not over come all of the issues that are evident in this very early photograph.  The problem with a lower eyelid skin muscle flap just under the lower eyelid lashes is a visible scar line and a weakening of the orbicularis oculi muscle that helps hold the lower eyelid against the globe.  In my experience, massage is also used as a means of helping patients feel that are doing something after surgery to make a difference.  However, I think is a better choice not to put them in a situation where they have to "do something."  This also sets the stage to blame the patient if the lower eyelid does not heal optimally: "Guess you did not massage the eyelid as instructed."  I predict that the lid will improve in appearance as it heals.  

Worried About 6 Day Post Op Drooping of Lower Eyelids from Lower Blepharoplasty. What Can I Do to Help Resolve This?

+2

Very often these things resolve when the swelling goes away.  Massaging up on the eyelid might help.  It actually depends on many factors, so you should really see your surgeon about this to see if there is anything else to be done. 

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ectropion after lower blepharoplasty

+2

It is early in the healing period and the eyelid will likely come back to normal position once the swelling and the muscle recover. In the meantime, do the following:  1) lubricate your eyes; 2) squinting eyelid exercises.  If the problem persists 3-6 months after surgery, then consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid droop after lower lid cosmetic eyelid surgery

+1

You need to be patient during the first few months out from surgery. Your incision site and the underlying muscle take time to heal. However, it is important to make sure your eyes remain healthy during the healing phase so make sure to keep your eyes lubricated. Massaging may also help so continue doing so per your doctor's instructions.  If the eyelids remain droopy 3-6 months out from surgery, you may seek a second opinion with an Oculoplastic Surgeon. Good luck.

Christopher I. Zoumalan, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

GO see the surgeon in this early post operative period. I see my lid patients on day 3 and day 7 post op. You need close IN PERSON follow up care. You are very very early in the healing phases. Plus why the steri-strips on the cheek/lower lid junction?? 

You are doing well

+1

Judging from the photographs, you are on track to a good recovery. some mild droopiness is common but temporary. Follow your eyelid surgeon's guidance and you should heal just fine.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

You Can Start Vigorous Massaging

+1

Dear Skingirl10, I would check with your plastic surgeon as this is not unusual but can be exacerbated by bleeding or other not so usual postoperative events. On ALL my patients with lower lid blepharoplasty I start them on day 2 with my "55" exercise. That is, place your finger right at the edge of your eyelashes and push up and hold to count of five and do this at least (better to do more) 5 times a day. This action not only massages but stretches out the healing tissue.

James Romano, MD