Do I Need to Wear a Bra 24/7 After Surgery? (photo)

I had my surgery done Thursday Sept. 13th 2013 I never wear bras and this is torture. Do I need to wear a bra 24/7 after surgery? Do I need to sleep in a bra? Do I need to wear one round the house (No Activity) My surgery went without a hitch and I really fell no pain. I took two pain pills the first two days (one each day) - I now take an Aleve for any discomfort. I have limited my activity to just daily activities and YES I am careful about lifting anything.

Wearing a bra after surgery

+1
I recommend you wear a bra for the first eight weeks of recovery to minimize the risk of displacement.  However, you should really ask your surgeon, as they may have different guidelines.

That is not a bra!

+1

Natalie, please send your photo and question to your surgeon.  If you are asked to wear a bra post-op, it is for the purpose of support.  I doubt your surgeon would consider what you are wearing to be a real bra.  Please find out soon as irreversible changes can occur quickly.    

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need to Wear a Bra 24/7 After Surgery?

+1

Glad you are recovering so easily and well. BUT what you need to do is contact your chosen surgeon and follow his/her advise. 

Hello

+1

Every practice is different; in our practice we do not let our patients wear a bra for 8 weeks. The only thing they are able to ear is a camisole.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

A bra is a good idea to give the breast implants support during the first few weeks of surgery

+1

When breast implants are placed into the pocket that is fashioned during surgery either over or under the pectoralis muscle, you want the implants to stay in a relatively static position as it heals.  A bra will keep the implants in a safe position while it is healing and keep them from shifting into areas where they should not go.  It will also give support to your upper torso and your back as it adjusts to the added weight of the implants.  A bra will also give your skin around your breast support as it adjusts to stretching around the breast implants.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon