Tummy Tuck with Umbilical Hernia Repair 3 Months Post Op. Can I Exercise?

Whenever I do sit ups my belly button hurts. I had tummy tuck with umbilical hernia repair 3 months ago. Should I stop exercising? No sit ups/ crunches? My belly button does not look swollen but hurt while I do sit ups and feels tender throughout the day. My CS said it was okay to exercise? What to do?

Pain with exercise.

+2

Hello and thanks for posting. Pain with exercise may be normal for several months after TT. If this happened to one of my patients I would recommend not performing any exercise that aggravates the situation until further healing takes place. Of course, I would examine the patient first. Check with your PS. best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Postop Pain

+1
Pain can persist for months after a hernia repair.  Avoid exercises that hurt until the pain resolves. With time things should continue to improve.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Situps after Tumkmy Tuck and Hernia Repair

+1

If you are feeling too sore after doing exercises after your tummy tuck and hernia repair, it may be better to give it a few more months before doing such exercises again. Given the muscle tightening that you probably had in your procedure, there really is no benefit to doing situps this early after surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Most patients should be fine to resume exercising by 3 months. My usual advice is to listen to your body, and refrain from activities that are painful. 

Best advice is to check with your surgeon, who knows you, knows what was done, and has followed your recovery. All the best. 

+1

At 3 months, everything should be healed.  If you have discomfort from the exercises, I would ease back into them or avoid them for a while.  Substitution of other exercises may be appropriate.  Following hernia repair and tummy tuck, there will be a sensation of tightness when working out for about the first year or so.  Healing is long process and getting back into a routine may require more time.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA