What would be the best option to remove this mole? (photo)

I understand that there will be scar and I'm okay with that, as long as it can be covered with makeup. I've researched and I think scalpel sculpting would be my best bet, as it is raised. What are my options? What should I expect to pay for this procedure?

Mole removal on the upper lip

+1
Your mole could be easily removed by either a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. Either method, done properly, should result in a minimal scar. If for any reason a shave excision does not heal as well as expected, or if there is significant remaining pigmentation, it can always be excised and sutured at a future date, but in my experience this rarely happens.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Removal of mole on lip

+1
A raised mole can be removed by shaving it off, but because your mole is dark, there probably would still be some discoloration at the base of it.  If this is not an issue for you then it could be shaved.  If you wanted no pigment still left, then the mole would most likely need to be excised.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of mole on upper lip

+1
The two options are to shave it flat or to excise it.  Shave removal is less invasive but does not remove a mole completely and there is a risk of recurrence or regimentation.  Excision removes a mole in its entirety but requires stitches to close the wound.  Excision is generally a straightforward procedure.  The upper lip is potentially a more problematic area for excision of a larger mole with risk of distortion of the anatomy of the lip.  I would recommend that you see a dermatologic or plastic surgeon who should have a detailed discussion with you about the benefits and risks of removal of the mole.  

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Excision of large dark moles makes a big improvement.

+1
Excision under local anesthesia is fairly easy and straight forward for large dark bumpy moles under the nose. Cost is roughly $85 for the initial office visit and $250-350 for the surgery which is usually done right then. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon