Restylane As a Treatment for Dark Circles Under Eyes

Hello. I just recently visited a Med Spa and they gave me a flyer about Restylane as a treatment for dark circles under eyes. My dermatologist however mentioned that she never uses filler under eyes for her patients. So who is correct?

+2

You can certainly benefit from injecting Restylane to the tear troughs, this filler is smoother to be used for thin skin around the eyes, this will help lighten the dark area IF the shadow is created by hollowness. Seek a reputable injector to ensure a result you wish to achieve. 

+1
Restylane is a great option to help eliminate dark under eyes, I suggest you see a reputable injector

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

Restylane under the eyes

+1

Dear Odessito4ka,

• If the darkness is caused by shadows (from being hollow), then Restylane works very well
  • If there is hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin), then Restylane can help by reducing the need for eye makeup, but you will still see some of the circle
  • You should see an injector that performs a lot of under eye filler as it takes significant expertise

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Restylane is a great product for under-eye hollows if it is placed correctly. It isn't the paint, it is the artist.

+1

If you are having Restylane under your eyes, make sure that you are treated by a doctor who has extensive experience treating under-eye hollows with this product. It is not the paint, it is the artist that makes the difference!

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane is a treatment for dark circles under the eyes

+1

I frequently use Restylane and another hyaluronic acid filler, Belotero, under the eyes to improve the appearance of dark circles. The problem often stems from shadowing due to a depression between the under eye fat pad and the cheek. This is often called a  tear trough. This is one of the most rewarding uses of filler in my experience. Having a depression and darkness makes one look tired. Not all dermatologists will focus on cosmetic treatments as I do in my cosmetic-only practice. Seek a physician who specializes in aesthetic procedures. I'm not sure a med spa is the right option. I believe a physician injector and one who trained in the core aesthetic specialties of dermatology, plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery and oculoplastic surgery is most knowledgeable about treating this area.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Some Of My Happiest Patients Are The Ones With Restylane Under Their Eyes

+1

It depends on why the dark circles are there. It has been my experience that filler works very well for the dark circles if there is a groove between the lower eyelid fat and the top of the cheek. This is primarily due to the fact that some of the dark color is actually a shadow that occurs in this area because most light comes from above. By filling in this "depression", the shadow goes away making the dark circles less noticeable. Because you have to very careful with the amount of filler placed into this area, Restylane seems to work best by providing the most consistent volume of all the hyaluronic acid fillers. If your dermatologist doesn't use fillers under the eyes, she should. These are typically my happiest patients. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane is the Best Filler for the Treatment of Lower Eye Hollows

+1

Hi Odessito,   Filler injections under the lower eye lids to fill hollows helps with dark circles as it diminishes shadows.  The only filler that I personally use in this area is Restylane.  This area is a most delicate and unforgiving area for injectables, the injector must be a skilled expert.  I would not recommend having this performed at a "med spa", but rather by an experienced physician.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.    Dr. Persky, Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tear trough

+1

If you have a little bulge in the lower lid with a depression line below it called 'tear trough' or 'Nasojugal groove' then you can benefit from Restylane. If the lower lid SKIN is dark but it is level without any hills and valleys, bulges or depressions then Restylane will not help. Regards
Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane as a treatment for dark circles under the eyes

+1

There are many causes for dark circles under the eyes, and the ideal treatment for you depends on your individual circumstances. Restylane can be a great choice to fill the tear trough for the right candidate, namely patients who experience loss of volume. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified and experienced plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Restylane for dark under eye circles.

+1

Hello Odessito,

Restylane is a very good filler when injected by an experienced, Board Certified, Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

The dark circles are due to several factors, including, in many cases, excessive pigment, but most of the time due to loss of volume of Bone, Fat and Skin, creating a shadow, even in a 25 year old.

The area under the eyes is a very delicate area and the results are very technique dependent. I would be wary about having this area injected in a Spa.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist