Can Repeated Use of Botox Jaw Reduction Lead to the Sagging of the Masseter Muscles Overtime? (photo)

Since I am informed that botox is used to weaken muscle, does this effect lead to a sagging jawline overtime with age? I am in between an oval and square shaped face of Asian decent in my early twenties and have been contemplating whether or not to get this procedure. Also, what are the typical results of a single session of this treatment with about 20 units per side? Will one treatment suffice for a good period of time? Thank you.

Botox Works Well for Square Jaw, does not cause Sagging of the Skin.

+2

At Boris Cosmetic we have seen excellent results from Botox for the masseter muscles. Enlarged masseters are often seen in people who grind their teeth, and can cause a square, heavy look to the face. Regular use of Botox can cause the muscles to be smaller and less prominant, which makes the face appear slimmer. It does not cause the skin to sag. The dose must be calculated by your doctor when he or she examines you. 20 units is a reasonable dose to begin with. It takes time for the treatment to show, and must be maintained every 4-6 months to continue working. Good luck.

Botox and masseters

+2

Twenty units per side is less than our recommended dose, however you'd need to have a consult and assessment first to determine your goals. It takes regular treatment to those muscles, and we would want to see you after 90 days. No, it won't make your skin stretch out.

Sam Naficy, MD

Injections with Botox in the Masseters Does Not Lead To Sagging Skin

+2

The masseter muscle helps close the mouth.  It can be enlarged in patients that grind their teeth or for other reasons.  Large masseters can make a face look overly round or full.  Botox injections can be great option to shrink this muscle and slenderize the face.  Injecting this muscle will not cause sagging of the skin.  I typically inject 25 units of Botox in each muscle although 20 units would be appropiate.  Typical re-injection of the muscle occurs between 4 and 6 months if a patient did not get the reduction they seeked.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter muscle reduction

+1

DOn't confuse sagging of the skin with that of the masseter muscle. Neither will occur in a 20 year old like yourself. Sagging of the skin occurs in older patients (40 plus) due to loss of collagen and elastin in the skin. You will not have that problem for a while. If you desire masster reduction, which will not cause sagging, start with 20 units and you will need several sessions over the course of a year or more to get the desired effect.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox for large Masseter (jaw) muscles

+1

Botox can be used to treat large muscles to help slim the face. More commonly requested by women for cosmetic purposes, as compared to men. Some use Botox to help treat headaches or teeth grinding / TMJ. Most patients are younger with good skin. As a result, sagging tissue has not generally been an issue. Lastly, 20 units is a lower dose than most plastic surgeons typically use for jaw reduction. However, it may be sufficient for some patients. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter

+1

Botox can be administered in doses of 25 units to each side.  The masseteric bulk will be reduced over about a year's period.  The skin sagging and jowling is not an effect of masseteric debulking.