Will my Face Benefit from Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I have always had a problem with my appearance but most significantly my nose. However, I really like my eyes and my smile straight on. 4 surgeons have suggested that (1) I lightly shave off the bump, (2) rotate the tip, and (3) cut the depressor septi muscle. I'm just so scared of looking like a pig afterwards because I already have a big forehead and wide-set eyes. Will rhinoplasty restore some aesthetic harmony and work in my favor or just make matters worse?

Candidate for rhinoplasty to improve aesthetic harmony

+1

Reducing the hump of the nose will make the nose look less prominent and more balanced with the patient’s facial features.  Once the hump has been removed, osteotomies will need to be performed to narrow the nasal bridge.  Releasing the depressor septi ligament will prevent the tip from drooping upon smiling.  We do not like upward rotations of the nasal tip since it tends to make the nose look done.  It is critically important that patients seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries, so that your rhinoplasty is done right the first time.

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Not to worry, it is possible to make improvements to the nose without turning up the tip too far. Conservatively rasping the hump and rotating the tip upward can greatly enhance the appearance of your profile. I would not recommend cutting the depressor septi muscle. The overall goal is to make improvements to the nose that will enhance your own natural look. Keep in mind that the tip will be rotated upward more than you may like immediately following surgery, but will relax to a normal position within around 2 weeks following your procedure. From here, I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist who has a great deal of experience. He/she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo and give you an idea of how the final result may appear following surgery. The image will also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your surgeon, as you will be able to make suggestions and critique his or her changes in order to obtain the best possible result. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

+1

I don't think your nose is bad at all, but you would benefit from some slight refinement of the tip and lowering the bridge a little.  The most important decision you will make is your selection of surgeon.. Make sure you choose someone with plenty of experience and Dan show you cases similar to yours. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Will My Face Benefit from a Rhinoplasty?

+1

So, benefit is a tough use of words. Rhinoplasty is really nothing more than a desire. I desired a Rhinoplasty for personal reasons and that is the first thing you need to soul search. It sounds like you have articulated very well what you do and do not like. I like the advice you have gotten. I do think that shaving down the cartilage and bone from the bump would be very nice. Your tip could use a little rotation up and refinement. Clipping the depressor septi muscles tells me that when you smile you must animate your tip and it dips down when you smile. Releasing and re-orienting these muscles in a different direction can make a big difference for that problem and if you trust your surgeon then go with it. At the end of the day you need to realize that you want a specific look. You have to not only be very clear about what you want to your surgeon but you need to choose a board certified surgeon who is trained in Rhinoplasty surgery.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty and Chin Augmentation

+1

You have some great features to work with. I believe that a subtle rhinoplasty would create a nice change for you. A conservative bony and cartilage hump removal in combination with techniques that would give you slightly more projection and rotation of the nasal tip will improve your profile. I also believe that a small chin implant would help balance out your profile by bringing your chin in line with your bottom lip. Good luck to you!

Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will my Face Benefit from Rhinoplasty?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, your face is round with relatively flat cheeks and a weak chin (makes the nose appear longer than it truly is).  To make your face more naturally attractive, Cheek Augmentation with fillers (I perfer using Perlane) or Cheek Implants would create the most impact.  Following that a Chin Implant that would balance the nose and lower face on profile should be considered.  This, IMHO, is a classic example of the nose looking fine (not ideal) but there being far more important aesthetics features on the face that should be considered for improvement.  Hope this helps. 

Will my face benefit from rhinoplasty?

+1

Hello, I have reviewed your posted photos and suggest that you may want to consider a chin augmentation with submental liposuction as well as rhinoplasty. This combination of procedures will provide more balance. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and have photo imaging done so that you can get a good idea of what you can look like after surgery. Your surgeon will explain all of your options.  Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty and possible chin augmentation

+1

Absolutely the subtle approach stated would improve the balance of the nose to the face. I would also consider a chin augmentation procedure to further improve the facial harmony and de-emphasize the nose by balancing the facial features more precisely. good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with small changes

+1

Yes,  i agree that small changes will make nice but subtle improvements in your profile.

the recommendations made are very reasonable

Perfect rhinoplasty

+1

You are a perfect candidate and very pretty. Make sure you get the most experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, look at their work, do computer imaging with your consults and enjoy a life with a perfect nose. Best wishes. 

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon