What happens to my nose if I remove my gore-tex rhinoplasty implant, just in case it gets infected in the future? (photo)

-27 yrs., Asian, had rhinoplasty to raise dorsal (~1-2 mm) & refine bulbous tip 4 years ago. -Gore-tex implant used for bridge. -My nose is in good shape, NOT infected, and I am satisfied. I have read that goretex may get infected down the road. So I decided, maybe I should remove the implant BEFORE it gets infected, while it is in a healthy state? I plan NOT to replace the goretex with anything else. Is it hard to remove? What will happen to my nose? Will it look contracted, like MJ's nose?

Long-term Effects Of Gore-Tex in Rhinoplasty Surgery

+3
Gore-Tex in an isolated nasal dorsum augmentation may work well short and long term. However, if it does get infected it does need to be removed. One would have to wait at least 6 months before considering a replacement with autologous tissue or even augmentation with a hyaluronic acid filler. That is the downside with using a non-autologous material for nasal surgery. Rhinoplasty should be done by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Otolaryngologist with expertise in rhinoplasty.

Implant

+2
What is the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I would not remove the gortes if you are happy with your result and with time it gets less likely you will have an infection. Dr.Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Goretex

+2
In my opinion, you should leave well enough alone. Chances are that the Goretex will never get infected and it may not be easy to remove. In contrast to silicone, Goretex tends to incorporate into surrounding tissue.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Removing Implant #nosejob

+1

So, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you are having a problem with the implant it may not be worth messing with it. If you take it out I would suggest replacing it with cartilage grafting to maintain the shape you have. Yes, it can get infected but if it is ok now why mess with it?Certainly if you do not replace it you will lose your current shape as the skin envelope contracts back down. I nor anyone else can comment on whether your nose will look like MJ.

Richard J. Brown, MD