How Can I Find out if I Developed a Septal Perforation Following Septoplasty?

I had surgery last december with no complications other than a constat feeling of numbness(and sometimes mild pain) , on the interior of my nose, that sometimes appears to be on the roof of my mouth. My surgeon said he used the "swinging door tecnique" . Any ways I can check by myself for a perforation? Water or light trough the nose? Thanks for your time.

Self examination to rule out septal perforation

+2
Most patients do not have access to endoscopes, so a self examination of the nasal cavity can be difficult. The best thing to do is tell your surgeon that you are concerned about a septal perforation. An exam of the inside of your nose at the doctor's office is an easy and diagnostic way to determine if there is a hole or not. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Perforation after septoplasty

+2

Perforation is a well described but uncommon issue after septoplasty.  There are no good ways to tell on your own.  Is there a reason you are suspicious of having one?  Common symptoms include whistling, crusting and sometimes nose bleeds but I have see a few patients who have had perforations for years without knowing about them.  The best way to find out is to see your surgeon or anyone else who performs septoplasties or rhinoplasties.  They need to look directly with a strong light or may even use a scope to see.  

Michael Lipan, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Facial Plastic Surgeon