Experiencing Lower Lid Evasion 6 Days Post Lower Blepharoplasty. Will Massaging Help?

My plastic surgeon recommended I massage my lower eyelids in an upward motion to try and help my now loose lower eyelids sit closer to the eyeballs as before my surgery. The lower rims look swollen since it's only been 6 days since surgery, but I'm scared this is permanent..not just swelling. It's worst at the inner corners below test ducts. Skin was removed (I'm 46), and the incision was made below the lash line. I have a negative vector naturally with my eye shape compared to cheekbones. Help!

Lower lid eversion after blepharoplasty

+2

Give it time until your lid incision and underlying muscle begins to heal.  It can several weeks to months for you to start seeing an improvement.  Massaging can help in the meantime as your surgeon has recommended. You may wish to see a second opinion if it doesn't improve over the next several months.  I would recommend you to see an Oculoplastic Surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

6 Days after Blepharoplasty

+2

Of course, significant changes will occur to your eyes over the next 3 months. Mildly droopy lower lids are usually temporary and will self-correct. Be patient and follow your surgeon's guidance.

Web reference: http://www.blepharoplastyboston.org/advanced-eyelid-lift.htm

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical correction of ectropion should wait for several more months

+2

It is possible that all of your problems with your lower eyelid position may be related to swelling.  Massage will usually help correct the problem.  Once you reach the 5 -6 months period and you still have an ectropion then a surgical correction may be needed.  

Ectropion/retraction after lower blepharoplasty

+2

You need to give it time to heal and the muscle that closes the eyelid to recover. In the meantime, lubricate your eyes. Discuss with your surgeon. If the problem persists 3-6 months after surgery, then consider seeing an oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Droopy lower lids

+1

yes, massaging can help, I agree with your doctor. I instruct patients to use their thumb and massage towards their ear. A good time to do that is after your shower. The contour of your lids will usually improve with time.

Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Massage and Patience Will Help

+1

Two things. Massage can be helpful, but too much massage may actually be detrimental. 5 minutes gently twice a day is about right. Secondly, it's only been 6 days and it's not uncommon to have some eversion of the lids after surgery. It will continue to get better on it's own. Don't worry and be patient. It is very likely that this will all get better over the next few weeks. Good luck.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon