I Want a More Refined Nose, Are my Expectations Realistic, or Am I at Too Much of a Risk for my Nose to Look Worse? (photo)

My nose has a little bit of a bulbous tip, as well as a line at the tip and on the columella, a "butt" nose. The columella hangs down as well. I like my profile from the left, angled, but from the right its horrible and hangs so much. I want my nose, but more refined, because I want to look like myself! :) I am generally happy with my looks it's just my nose that makes me feel less confident at times, especially when someone is to my right, or taking a photo from my bad side, or even the front.

Rhinoplasty and realistic expectation

+2

I believe that there is possibility to achieve your goal. The posted pictures are not the standard views that most of plastic surgeons like to have for evaluation. I can see more than you mentioned that can be fixed. By the way you have a beautiful nose that just need some subtle changes to get you the perfect result that you looking for. 

Best Treatment for Rhinoplasty Refinement Without Risk to Nose

+2

Hi Imj,

Your expectations for refinement and improvement of your nose are realistic.  The only way that you are at too much risk is if you choose your rhinoplasty surgeon poorly.  From your right profile view it appears that you have a little extra collumellar show, that is your right nostril edge is slightly retracted and the bottom portion of your nasal septum (the center divider of your nose) is showing an extra millimeter or two.  Your nasal tip cartilages ("butt nose") is corrected by using sutures and very minimal trimming.  

Your most important job is to make sure that you get a few rhinoplasty consultations with expert rhinoplasty surgeons, and then make sure that you choose your surgeon most carefully!  Your nose refinement should look natural and no one should be able to tell that you had surgery done once you recover. Good luck and be well.

MIchael A. Persky, Md, FACS

Encino, California

Michael A. Persky, MD

Are My Rhinoplasty Expectations Realistic?

+2

First, I think your expectations are realistic as long as you have an experienced surgeon make subtle changes. Your tip can be refined by changing the contour and eliminating the bifidity of your tip cartilages. I would raise the columella slightly more than you did in the picture you morphed.

Rhinoplasty candidate with realistic expectations

+2

Dear LMJ, Thank you for your recent inquiry. You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty which will address the issues that are bothering you. A rhinoplasty when done with expertise will provide the refinement that you are looking for and address the issues of the bulbous tip and hanging columella while still having a natural looking nose. With the age of Facebook and Instagram it is very common to have many young patients in my office with similar requests in refinement rhinoplasty. I personally use a digital imaging computer during the consultation which allows me to show the patient their proposed surgical results. I hope this is helpful to you and please seek an expert in the field of rhinoplasty and you should have an excellent result. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Tip plasty for columellar clefting and sublobular fullness

+2

The concerns you raise are commonly corrected with suture tip plasty techniques that reshape the cartilages and close the gap in the columella. You should be able to obtain those changes without overly complex surgery. This can be done via closed or open approach. 

You are a great candidate since it is an isolated issue on an otherwise attractive face and you will carry the result nicely. Computer imaging will help you to see the potential change. 

All the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal refinement

+2

Refinement of the nose is very possivle with subtle changes to the columella as well as the nasal tip.  Best to go for a consult. Good luck.

Bulbous tip and columellar show

+2

You are an excellent candidate to perform a rhinoplasty.  Adjusting the dorsal esthetic lines to make them more symmetrical, narrowing the bulbous tip, removing the cleft in the tip and reducing the columellar show can all be accomplished.  It is best to seek out a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.  Virtual rhinoplasty software is available on our website for you to try

Hanging columella

+2

Hi.  Your expectation seem very reasonable.  You do have a significant hanging columella.  I treat this issue with a technique called the tongue-in-groove maneuver, which involves making a pocket inside your columella (groove) and advancing it onto the front part of your septum (tongue).  This leads to a very predicable improvement and also keeps the base of the nose stable after surgery.   The line on the tip (aka "butt" nose) is caused by a shadow between the two halves of the tip.  This is called a "bifid tip" and is frequently corrected with rhinoplasty.  You have beautiful features and would do well with a properly done rhinoplasty.  As we always say, select a surgeon who does lots of rhinoplasty and whose work you like.  Good luck...

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Refinement from rhinoplasty

+2

One of the dangers of rhinoplasty is using terms such as a refinement, and it is always best if you can identify and point out issues in your photo such as the hanging columella. Computer simulations can be an invaluable way to accurately see just what a 'refined' nose might look like on you.

Rhinoplasty for refinement

+2

Dear lmj123,

• After looking at your pictures, I believe you have very realistic expectations
  • The columella can be lifted and the tip refined in a nice and natural way
  • When you are ready, go in for a consultation where all of your questions and concerns can be addressed so you can make an educated decision

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD