Had Waterjet Lipo on Flanks, Lower/mid/upper Abs, Inner and Outer Thighs 5 Weeks Ago. Are These Results Normal? (photo)

Day after lipo I was almost 50% bigger than pre-op. I was not fat but gained some weight due to work stress that was not coming off with exersize. Today I had my 5 wk post-op visit, there is a ridge on my mid-ab and my inner thighs look bumpy. My Doc said I have uneven swelling and this is normal, but suggested I get Vellashape to help smooth it all out. My biggest concern is I travel for work and will not be in town for treatments. I am bigger 5 wks post op and dieting. Any advice is welcome.

Liposuction Results after 5 Weeks

+2

Depending upon how much fat was removed during the procedure, the results at 5 weeks may look similar to pereoperative status.  Some patients take 3 to 6 months for swelling to resolve to any extent so that a result can be realized.

Water Jet Lipo Results

+2

It's too late now, but those of us in the know say it over and over again: its not the machine, its the surgeon!  All of these high tech devices that are being advertised and pushed onto the public as 'the best' is nothing more than hype, and they all rely in the end on the suction of fat through a hollow canula (liposuction).  Their results have never been shown to be superior to any other technique, and rely solely on the skill and experience of the surgeon. 

Looking at your photos, I believe you got a good result, especially on the flank area! Your belly was reduced well too.  I do see the ledge on your side profile at the level of your umbilicus.  Good posture, loose clothing, and possibly another month of even, firm compression with a rubberized wrap may flatten that.

Although the water jet technology makes bold claims as being the least traumatic, the fact of the matter is that it is just as traumatic as standard liposuction, which means you have 2 to 5 more months before you can make any assessment as to your results due to prolonged swelling.  You will need to be patient, maintain good eating and exercise habits, and follow up in the new year. You and your surgeon may discover areas that need a retouch quickly, but any revision surgery should not be scheduled for at least 4 to 6 months after the prior surgery.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Had Waterjet Lipo on Flanks, Lower/mid/upper Abs, Inner and Outer Thighs 5 Weeks Ago. Are These Results Normal?

+1

Your operation is recently and you need to massage your body to avoid the swelling, if you travel, use lycra support from the beginning of the day.  

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon