Upper eyelid swelling after ptosis surgery. Will the shape change after the swelling goes down? (Photo)

4 weeks ago I had ptosis surgery on only my right eyelid. I wanted it to look like my left. I still have swelling on my eyelid, but my eye appears rounder and larger than the other. Will the shape change after swelling goes down to look symmetrical or will it stay the same?

Reversing ptosis surgery

+2
As swelling resolves, the eyelid is likely either remain in same position or move higher, not lower. Recommend waiting about 3 months after surgery for full healing and then re-evaluating the position of the eyelid and comparison to the other side. Revisional surgery is possible.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery is trick business.

+2
You are having an issue no doubt.  At 4 weeks after surgery the right upper eyelid appears over corrected.  However, without all the data, it is hard to come to an opinion regarding your best options.  Depending on the nature of the surgery you had, it is sometimes possible to massage the over elevated eyelid to improve the situation.  This really needs to be done under the supervision of a surgeon.  The other possibility is that your right eye was lifted enough that there was a secondary fall in the left eye so that taken together the right upper eyelid looks too high and the let too low.  Due to precisely this type of situation I will often measure the effects of a potential ptosis surgery at two separate preoperative visits.  The first visit, I may do the neosynephrine test in the  heavier eye and record what happens to the upper eyelid positions for both upper eyelids.  On the second visit, I will typically then instill neosynephrine drops into both eyelids and measure the effects.  Based on this information, one gets a better idea of the interaction of the two eyelids and this can help guide planning for surgery.  Regarding your current situation, I recommend you talk with your current surgeon and decide if he or she have a plan to address the current situation.  If not, you might consider getting second opinions.

Concerns about asymmetry after unilateral ptosis repair

+1
Perfect symmetry is nearly impossible to achieve when doing ptosis surgery and if a surgeon tells you they can, get it writing with a guarantee.  You should be relaying your concerns to your surgeon so your surgeon can direct you with maneuvers to help improve your symmetry.   I think your early results look quite good and would anticipate improvement but still best to keep your surgeon in the loop to allow your surgeon the opportunity help you achieve the best result possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

Swelling in eyelid shape after ptosis surgery

+1
The quick answer to your question is yes the swelling will go down and the eyelid shape should be much more symmetrical with the opposite side.  4 weeks is still early and I would expect another month before you can truly assess your results.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS