What is the average wait time between consultation and surgery for breast implant removal?

I would like to have my saline breast implants removed (not replaced, no lift) under local anesthesia before Thanksgiving (Nov 28). Today is November 8 and I live in Los Angeles. Is it unrealistic of me to think I can find a PS who can fit me into his/her schedule within that time frame? I saw a PS who is booked until January, but she said I don't have capsular contracture (just Baker 1 on one breast) and it should be an easy surgery.

Implant Removal

+2

Thank you for your question and pictures. Different practices vary depending on physician schedules in terms of the number of days a week they see patients in the office and the number of days they do surgery, their vacation times with Thanksgiving and Christmas during this time, and surgery center schedule. If your surgeon is not willing or unable to accommodate your schedule, it should not be difficult to find a board certified plastic surgeon who would be able to accommodate your surgical and scheduling needs. The procedure you seek is straightforward and with a relatively uncomplicated recovery. I would recommend that you discuss this scheduling problem with your surgeon, and possibly ask him/her to recommend another surgeon for you to see if he/she is unable to schedule surgery in the time frame you seek. Good Luck!

Wait time between consultation and surgery for breast implant removal?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Wait times between consultation and surgery will vary from one practice to another; much will depend on the surgeon's vacation schedule and number of days in the operating room per week etc.

Given the type of procedure you are interested in (short duration), you should be able to have the procedure done in the time frame that you are interested in.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

We have the time

+1

We will make the time for you so do not hesitate to contact us. As long as there are no evidences of damage or rupture it is a very straightforward prosedure that should only take one hour or two at most. Recovery time should be minimal. About the time, yes it is a complicated time but we will make time for you to come in and fix everything before thanksgiving.

Jonathan Fisher, MD

Surgery scheduling

+1
Surgery scheduling is very variable by physician. Do not just pick the surgeon based upon when the surgery can be scheduled but instead on the quality of the surgeon and one that you trust.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Scheduling surgery

+1

In my practice after consultation, and once the preoperative history and physical examination and blood work is done by your family physician , we will schedule with in one week. We work and operate on Saturdays.

Samir Shureih MD FACS

sshureih@msn.com

Breast Implant Removal

+1

Removal of breast implants is a straigtforward procedure, particularly when the implants are not being replaced and when there is no evidence of capsular contracture. In most instances, the implants can be taken out through the same incisions from which they were placed. The procedure should be able to be performed within an hour, which includes the total time under anesthesia.

For patients who are young (under 40) and healthy (no major medical problems), I do not require any medical workup, labs, EKG or mammography. In general, because the procedure is short, I would be able to add this onto my schedule on practically any surgical day. In my practice, I require an initial examination followed by a preoperative history and physical which are generally spaced out by one week.

For a case similar to the one you are describing, a 2 week time course would be a reasonable expectation.

Because you have had breast implants, there will be changes to your native breast tissue and skin envelope. The breast tissue is often thinner and the skin envelope is more stretched out in these cases. The likelihood is that you will have slightly lower breasts and nipples when compared to your pre-implant appearance.

Adam J. Oppenheimer, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, the procedure is a short procedure that can be scheduled in a few days if the surgeon has his own operating rooms or surgery center.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA