What is the best age to start using Botox? (photo)

I am in my early 30s and started noticing some little wrinkles around my eyes. They are not too bad, but I am wondering if there is any specific age I have to wait before I get my first Botox treatment. I don't want to start too early if I don't have to. I also am a little concern with the long term side effects of Botox. Does it cause the wrinkles to get worse over time or something like premature aging. Especially if I decide to stop it at some point? I am really grateful for your thorough answer,

Best age to start using Botox

+4
This is a phenomenal question that brings up many interesting points. Aging in the face and neck is a harmonious process that involves aging of the skin with both photo damage and wrinkles, volume loss, redistribution and descent of tissues.

The first of these facets of aging to become apparent are the skin changes, specifically, dynamic wrinkles from repeated muscular movements. Since this is one of the first signs of aging, it is often the first addressed, and is often sought by younger patients. The treatment for this is Botox and other neuromodulators.

That begs the question, when is the ideal time to start? This topic has been hotly debated, and the thought paradigm has shifted over time to include younger and younger patients. When Botox first became popular in the late 80s and early 90s, no one would dream of treating somebody in their 20s. Today that is not the case, and many think that starting Botox early can actually be beneficial to long-term aging and preventative for future cosmetic needs.

The act of repeatedly folding a sheet is an excellent analogy, if it gets folded in the same place again and again over time, that wrinkle will become permanent. If you can somehow prevent that sheet from getting folded in the same place, that wrinkle will remain dynamic, and not become permanent. Neuromodulators, like Botox, prevent the dynamic wrinkles from being there at all, and in the process prevent them from becoming permanent.

The long-term side effects that you bring up are also an interesting question, we know in medicine that if a muscle does not stay connected to its motor nerve, it atrophies or get smaller. Neuromodulators disconnect the muscle and nerve junction in a chemical manner, and with repeated use over time this may also lead to atrophy. If this does happen, most people aren't too bothered by it, because that was the muscle they were targeting to quit moving in the first place. Nonetheless, you definitely have to find a sweet spot.

In summary, I'd say that if it's something that bothers you, you are ready and you are not too young. Appropriate use of a neuromodulator may even be beneficial to your long-term aging and future cosmetic needs.

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

BOTOX® to Maintain Your Appearance

+2
For BOTOX® Cosmetic use, there is no minimum age requirement. In fact, I would say that your early 30s is the perfect time to take the first step in maintaining your youthful appearance with a BOTOX regimen.
BOTOX is made with a purified protein that, when injected into a targeted facial muscle, blocks the nerve impulses to that muscle. As a result, the muscle relaxes and the skin lies smooth, reducing the appearance of wrinkles. Results last about 3 to 4 months, and once the treatment wears off, your wrinkles will return as they were.

BOTOX will not cause wrinkles to worsen over time or cause premature aging. Because treatment is repeatable, you will be able to maintain your new look. If you decide to stop treatments, there will be no long-term effects on your facial appearance. I invite you to continue your journey by exploring the answers to any other questions you might have on the BOTOX page of my website.
Best of luck with your treatment.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best age to start using Botox?

+2
There is no specific age when you should start using Botox. This really depends on the patient and his or her individual needs. The Botox will not cause the wrinkles to get worse if you decide to stop. It is a temporary treatment that lasts for an average of 3 months. When having treatment with Botox, I would recommend choosing one of the following board certified physicians:

1) Dermatologist
2) Plastic Surgeon
3) Facial plastic surgeon

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Botox age limit

+2
There is no specific age that you have to wait until your first Botox treatment.  People start wrinkling at different ages.  I have treated many young patients to prevent the wrinkles from getting engrained into the skin.  There is no major long term side effects of Botox.  It is a drug to prevent the muscles from contracting temporarily.  If you don't like the effects of Botox, fortunately it will go away in 3-6 months.   

Eugene Kim, MD

What is the best age to start using #Botox?

+2
There is no age limit at which to start Botox. For lines around the eyes, the thirties are a great time to start Botox to soften those lines and prevent them from becoming deeper. There is a misconception that once a person starts Botox they have to continue the product indefinitely but that is not the case. In practice, most people do continue to use Botox and find other areas of their face where it creates beautiful result because the product does work well when used properly. However, if you were to try Botox and decide that it was not for you, your lines actually should be better than if you had not ever tried the product. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Age for Botox

+2
Hi Rogal,

We have many clients your age that start getting Botox treatments. There is no magic age to start Botox, but what we have found is that the earlier you start treating problem areas the better your results. It will take less Botox to achieve your goals, and as the muscle gets weakened it will prevent your wrinkles from deepening in the future as you get older. As for the long term side effects, rest assured, as Botox is extremely safe when done in the right hands. I hope this helps to answer your question. To check out before and after pictures of some of the patients we have treated with Botox click the link below. Best of luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

How Young for Botox?

+2
Hi Rogal.  There is no simple answer to the question as it is a very personal one.  We have patients as young as 25 that are using Botox (Dysport) and some are good candidates already.  Others do not need it even at 35.  

One key question is whether there is something (like the crow's feet lines in your picture) that is bothering you.  In this case, you are a good candidate fro the procedure and Botox will help very much to reduce or eliminate the lines.

The second issue is a preventative one.  If a patient is concerned about developing wrinkles (forehead, crow's feet or otherwise) they will often request the product as a way to avoid getting the lines.  

Both situations help determine when Botox (or Dysport) is right for you.  We think you are a good candidate so now is as good a time as ever!

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

What is the best age to start using Botox?

+2
30s is typically the age when patients start using Botox.  Some patients are younger, as the goals is to avoid the wrinkles!  Botox will relax the muscle so the wrinkles never become permanent!  So, you are at the perfect age.    

When should you start Botox?

+2
Many people begin using botox in their 30's.  Botox treats the wrinkles caused by muscle action around the eyes, brows, forehead, and other parts of the face.  Appropriate use of botox can help reduce the signs of aging by relaxing these muscles.  You should visit with an experienced facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist to discuss your concern.  They should tell you honestly if Botox is indicated or if other measures could help with your concerns. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
There is no set "best age" to start using Botox.  Younger patients often approach Botox as a preventative maintenance tool -- preventing the wrinkles before they occur, and this is perfectly acceptable.  A great skin care regimen is equally as important especially in younger patients.  There are no documented long term effects of Botox therapy and certainly does not cause premature aging.  If you stop getting Botox, you will simply be able to move the muscles that were once treated -- you won't rapidly age.  Choosing a "core" Botox injector will be the most important step (facial plastic surgeons, plastic surgeons, dermatologists, or occuloplastic surgeons). This is because we all have a keen understanding of facial anatomy and the effects of injecting Botox/ Xeomin/ Dysport and fillers in different regions of the face. An in-person exam is absolutely necessary in your case to check your dynamic facial expressions and discuss your concerns/ expectations prior to developing a treatment plan. Be sure you are seeing one of us, and I wish you well!

Parker Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon