Half Syringes of Filler for Sale? Safe?

I have bought filler from doctors who did a number of questionable concerning things. 1) Only charging the client for the amount of filler they used which would be under the typical syringe amount. 2) Saving the syringe for 6 months if there were any product left. Are they possibly using the remains of a syringe I did not originally purchase? What is going on with the doctors who sell suspicious amounts and or remains of a syringe?

Half Syringes for Sale?

+2

Some patients doggedly insist that they only want a part of a syringe, but I refrain from selling portions of a syringe. 

Dermal fillers and using partial syringes

+2

Obviously it doesn't make sense to buy a half of a syringe that isn't already packaged by the manufacturer as such, like a 0.4mL for example because you don't know what you're buying. If you are visiting a reputable plastic surgeon, you shouldn't have any reason to feel suspicious about their practices. If you aren't sure whom you're seeing, do your research first.

Stick with the full syringe to assure safety

+2

Fillers come in different amounts (Restylane 1.0cc, 0.4cc; Juvederm 0.8cc; Perlane 1.0 cc, 2.0cc), so charging for different volumes of filler is not necessarily concerning. I do not save fillers for a different date or charge patients for less than one syringe. It is a very controversial topic, but there are respectable practitioners that do this legally. They take extra precautions to assure proper patient labeling and to prevent contamination (studies suggest that sterility can be maintained), although I think the risks outweigh the benefits for my practice. In your personal case, you can ask for the lot number of your original syringe to be compared with the syringe you are purchasing on your second visit to see if they match. If the numbers are different, then you know the syringes are different (if they are the same, it doesn't confirm the same syringe because there are multiple syringes in a batch).

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Storing a half used syringe is a bad practice.

+2

Once the seal on the syringe is broken, sterility is no longer assured.  "Splitting a syringe before using it" is another bad practice.  There is no practical way to do this and maintain an appropriate level of sterility.  For this reason, the Medicis and Allergan do make smaller syringes although most patients need a full milliliter or more of filler.  Ask yourself, in 6 months, when you do back for the other half of that syringe, how likely is it that you will get your syringe and not Mrs Jones syringe?  Unless your doctor is running a certified tissue bank, it is very improbable that have secure procedures to avoid this type of accident.

Half syringes of fillers

+2

Lidia, Firstly,  Some fillers come in half syringes so that is what some doctors sell. Secondly, Those that inject a lot of filler often split a syringe before ever using it. They do this under sterile conditions and probably use those syringes up in a day or two. There is no difference in sterility than when we add lidocaine to a syringe of filler. The syringe was never used by or in room with another patient. The needles on these syringes are often smaller and the pressure of injection less causing less inflammation and bruising. Splitting syringes allows those doctors to taylor a patients product use to exactly what they need. If a doctor does this they probably are a very experienced injector. This is not the same as saving leftovers which is probably OK for a few weeks if done correctly and the patients name is written on the syringe while they watch. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Filler syringes 1/2?

+2

Some product does come in lower volumes. But, if they are half-filled when they were really 1cc, then it is probably not a good idea.  Also storing filler after use, is not recommended by the manufacturer.

Restylane and Juvederm are excellent options for facial rejuvenation

+2

It is not ideal, nor do I recommend dividing syringes but some physicians will divide one syringe into two before the product is used. This would be the only safe way since it would otherwise be very dangerous due to risk of contamination and infection from using the same syringe on more than one person or from saving product after it is partially used.

Half used syringes

+2
This is a bad idea.  Don't use this filler - you have no idea about the sterility.  Throw it away.  I can not recommend this approach at all.

Web reference: http://day-spa-orlando.com/restylane/

Half Syringes of filler are not safe

+2

It is never safe or acceptable for a doctor to use half a syringe or save unused product for future use. Doctors that do this are also the same ones who get their fillers from overseas pharmacies or from the "grey market". You should report them to the state medical board.

1/2 Syringes of Restylane

+2

Hi Lidia.  While it may be possible to store the partially used syringe in a sanitary manner, it is not preferred.  As mentioned by one of the practitioners below, the sizes are meant for one time use only.  

In our practice, we do not offer this option because you are paying for your injectors time, not just the product and injecting a patient twice with the same syringe is not a good use of our time.  

If the patient needs less product, we use a .5 cc Restylane.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/RestylaneInjectionsBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.