Smoking and Rhinoplasty - using the patch for 10 days and looking for other options.

I am scheduled for rhinoplasty on the 29th of this month and have not been able to quit smoking on my own. I will put the patch on tonight which will give me 10 days of being smoke free on my surgery date. Is this sufficient amount of time? Dr who is doing surgery said it is fine with 10 days and that a week not smoking prior to rhinoplasty is acceptable. Looking for more opinions. Thanks in advance

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1
I would strongly advise against smoking any more prior to your rhinoplasty. I generally advise my patients to stop smoking 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery. However, each surgeon has their own specific guidelines. It is important to consider the following:

1) The patch still contains nicotine, which will lead to vasoconstriction and negatively affect the healing process.
2) There are many complications that can arise if guidelines for smoking are not adhered to.

I would recommend following up with your surgeon to ensure they are ok with your timeline regarding smoking. I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1
I am going to be brutally honest with you. I would not touch you for that surgery unless you were smoke free for 6 weeks. Nicotine is the devil when it comes to plastic surgery. So that means nictotine gum, and the patch are also a no go. If you were my patient I would make you quit a minimum of 6 weeks before and after surgery. If you are that passionate to have the procedure you will quit. In my training my chairman used to always say that the plastic surgery is a balance between beauty and blood supply. Nicotine basically cuts of the blood supply to the tissues to allow them to heal properly. You are asking for big trouble if you have a Rhinoplasty while you are smoking. The medical literature is clear that smokers have up to twelve times the wound healing complications with surgery compared to non-smokers. If I were you I would not have the surgery until you can quit smoking. This is the real deal. Your nose is right there on the middle of your face. You can't hide it. You want to give this surgery every opportunity for it to go flawlessly.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Smoking

+1
Smoking before and after a rhinoplasty can affect healing and results.  It affects the small blood vessels perfusing the tissues and can cause wound healing problems. Also smoke affects the nasal lining causing irritation of the internal nasal tissues.  Talk to your surgeon to see how long they want you off smoking.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1
You doctor has given you his advice. You chose him and you should follow his advice. But if you keep smoking and have the surgery and have complications, at least you know who to blame (not the doctor).

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1
Smoking decreased microcirculation and can thus affect healing from any surgery.
In longer flap surgeries, such as facelift surgery, the vascularity to the skin flaps can be compromised and result in skin necrosis.  No specific blood flow issues exist with rhinoplasty, and therefore most surgeons would not have any problem with smoking cessation 10 days prior to surgery

Jonathan Sykes, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

+1
Smoking presents certain risk in specific procedures because of the effect on blood flow.  Facelift, breast lift, and tummy tuck are the procedures at greatest risk from smoking causing wound healing problems, but you should still try to quit smoking the healing process in rhinoplasty as well.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Smoking and Rhinoplasty?

+1
Smoking has negative effects on healing. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon who should be surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person and follow all of his or her instructions..

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Rhinoplasty

+1
I would never disagree with the good advice provided by another surgeon before your operation. Smoking will always interfere with healing, at least delaying the recovery.

Smoking and rhinoplasty

+1
I prefer to have patients stop smoking 3-4 weeks before surgery and stay off cigarettes for 3-4 weeks after surgery.

Smoking

+1
Smoking and cosmetic surgery never go well together.  Follow your surgeon's advice and do not cheat

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon