Scarless Healing. Will This Be Possible?

Hello, I am just curious about your views on the idea of scarless healing. Do you think in the future it will be possible to completely eliminate scars through skin regeneration and stem cell technology. I have 1 or 2 small acne scars and one small 2mm red scar on my upper lip. None of these scars are very disfiguring, so if one could just regenerate the skin these scars would disappear. Right? Please let me know what you think. Thank You.

Possibility of scarless healing

+1

There are some people who as a function of the dermatologist or plastic surgeon, as well as their own healing, and based on the nature and depth of the lesion cut out, who heal with hardly a scar....so it is possible. That said, we always try to prevent scars first, but if one occurs, there are many modalities to reduce and fade it, sometimes partially, sometimes near completely.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Scarless healing

+1

Will scarless healing be a reality one day?  At present we are too far away to be able to achieve this, but there is constant and exciting research on this subject.

+1

Preventing scars is much easier than removing them once they've formed. Acne scars, in particular, are difficult to manage because the skin becomes tethered to the underlying tissue. With that said, it is likely that advances in acne scars are on the way. The only question is how far down the road they will come. In terms of complete elimination of acne scars with stem cells, we're a long way off at this point. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon