Resurgence in pain 16 days after BR. How can I prevent this?

Today I had increase in pain around my breasts / flanks. Incisions look ok, no bleeding or seeping. Pain is dull ache; Breasts feel swollen and heavy. Riding in a car was miserable. Started to increase activity and spent 4 hours at computer. Began using silicone strips yesterday; I removed and then reapplied after my shower today. Wearing post op bra during day and Playtex flexercise at night for last few days. Is more compression needed? Or is this just typical ebb and flow of healing?

Dull ache after surgery

+1
Sounds like you are doing everything properly. Perhaps you can tighten the lift component of your bra to add extra support and minimize dependent swelling.
Also, avoid salty and spicy foods. In the post-op period this can add to swelling.

Ebb and flow of healing

+1
I think you’ve got it right. It sounds like the typical “ebb and flow of healing.” You may need to cut back a little on your activity for a few days or a week. 16 days after surgery is still in the “early” period – it takes quite a while for everything to heal, all the swelling to subside, pain to disappear, scars to mature, etc. Good luck!

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Increase in post-op pain with increase in activity

+1
You are very aware of your body and you have seen what resuming activity in the early days after surgery does.  If there is no apparent complication, then the surgical area through pain is indeed telling you to slow down, wear good support and allow more time to pass before resumption of activity.  If it hurts, then don't do it.  A little more recovery will allow an optimal result.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Pain after a breast reduction can wax and wane.

+1
Fluctuations in the perception of pain after breast reduction are not uncommon. Any changes another symptomatology should be reported to your surgeon.

Sporadic pains are common during recovery

+1
and it sounds like you're very perceptive of everything and doing the routine things patients are instructed of during their recovery.  If you appreciate any changes in your breast appearances, whether it be more redness, swelling, an increase in size, etc, you must let your surgeon know to determine if you must be seen urgently.

Curtis Wong, MD