Does Restylane sometimes accentuate under eye bags? I have some hollowness under both of my eyes.

About a year ago I got Restylane injected in my tear trough area about a year ago from a renowned plastic surgeon who specialized in the injections. I loved the results for about a week- until the swelling went down it looked like it had worked. Once the swelling subsided it looked like the Restylane was sitting right where the hollowness ended and actually looked like it accentuated the hollow-ness in that area. Since it has been over a year I would like to try again, did I just not get enough injected?

Restylane in the tear troughs

+1
Restylane is a great filler in the tear trough area and to correct hollowness in the under eye area. If you initially loved the results then it sounds like you would be a good candidate for the procedure.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with experience in Restylane in this area for the best cosmetic results.

How to Fix Hollowness Under Eyes with Fillers

+1
The tear trough area is technically challenging. One of the risks of placing filler there, is if it’s not done expertly it can result in some accentuation of the bags. We specialize in that area and treat 6-8 cases of tear trough deformities a day. When done well, this can be a very satisfying area of correction.

Since it’s been a year, it’s safe to say that the filler has dissipated by now and you can go for more injections when you feel ready.

I recommend viewing many before and after pictures to get a good idea of what result you’re looking for and compare results from different surgeons. A good practitioner injects and contours the filler as they go in order to balance out and fill in those hollow areas, creating harmony and balance in your look.

Web reference: http://www.yourfaceinourhands.com/plastic-surgery/restylane.cfm

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Injections Under the Eyes

+1

Hi 6735,

It is difficult to answer your question unless one is the injecting physician who treated you.  It is best to return to your injecting physician about two weeks after any treatment for a "face check" to make sure that everything is going well, and at that time any necessary adjustments can be made.  You may have Restylane injections once again, if you go to another physician please make sure that you make them aware of your past experience.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Liquid Eyelift Can Be Very Effective

+1

If filler is injected properly around the eyes, it can greatly improve the hallows underneath the eyes.  Poor results can be due to:

1)  Poor technique

2)  Overfill

3)  Underfill

4)  Poor choice of injectable product  (I only use Restylane for injections around eye)

I believe with the proper technique (I prefer the cannula technique.  See video below), great results can be achieved with a liquid eyelid lift.  

Web reference: http://www.carolinafacialplasticsurgery.com/non-surgical-eyelift/

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear Trough Area - Very Technique Dependent

+1

Hi Anon.  The area under the eyes is one of the more difficult areas to inject well.  We also only use Restylane in this area.  If the injections were not done "under the muscle" they can actually have the affect of making the area look worse.

If the technique used was under the muscle and you still did not get the desired result, it could be because there was not enough product used or because you are not the best of candidates (photo would help).  

You can click on the link below to see some photos of tear trough injections under the eye.  

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/RestylaneInjectionsBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx