Replace Porcelain Veneers if Gums Are Pulling Away? (photo)

I've had porcelain veneers on top front teeth for 13 yrs; the gums have started pulling away recently and I can now see the margins. My dentist saw no signs of gum disease and said it's a natural reaction to foreign material of the porcelain, or just aging. I had receding gums on the bottom as a child and needed surgery. I brush twice a day with Sonicare, floss, use no-alcohol mouthwash. The dentist has recommended replacing the veneers to cover the margins, but what about the gums?

Do Porcelain Veneers Have to Be Replaced If Gums are Pulling Away?

+2

Receding gums are a natural part of aging. No matter how well you take care of your oral health you will still experience gum recession. The older we get the longer our teeth become because of this gum recession; hence the term "long in the tooth" that describes an older person. 

The only way to resolve your concern is to redo the porcelain veneers. Well crafted veneers will ensure that this gum recession does not proceed faster than you are genetically predisposed and continued quality maintenance will also ensure that your second set of veneers will last as long as possible.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

If My Gums Receed Away From My Porcelain Veneers Do I Need To Replace Them?

+1

You don't have to replace your veneers unless you feel that your show too much of the darker root when you smile.  We'll commonly see some recession over the years in a fair amount of patients who don't have any gum disease and exhibit good oral hygiene.  For some, it is just a matter of some aging going on.

Just looking at your veneers they look a little "bulky" and slightly "overcontoured" around the gum line.  I'm sure your dentist has since adopted newer techniques in tooth preparation and design so that your next set of porcelain veneers will look a lot better, more natural and not nearly so thick.

If you decide to replace your veneers they can be removed quite easily.  You dentist has the choice of using more esthetic and natural materials, like EMax porcelain, which will help your teeth look a lot better too.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Gum Recession

+1

Gum recession does happen due to age and foreign materials. The only way to correct this problem is to have the veneers replaced. If it doesn't bother you from a cosmetic perspective then leave them as is. 

I personally think that your veneers are little bulky. Today's ceramics can be made thinner while still being strong. So replacing them now might give you a better smile.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Anterior veneers and recession.

+1

Gum recession is a popular sign in the porcelain restorations and part of aging process. There are multiple ways to address it: change veneers, camouflage the recessed gum with the matching material, or do the grafting around recessed veneers. The gum grafting requires superb clinical skills, so you should obtain the consult from experienced periodontist who will be able to help you and possibly save current veneers.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

New Veneers for Gum Recession

+1

The other doctors have answered your question well. You will likely continue to recede, so you don't want your new veneers to look unsightly. Dr. Neuhaus talks about matching the color at the area of the veneer close to the gum to the natural color to the teeth. The ceramist can also add more translucency in the are next to the gum - also callled Contact Lens Effect. Then future recession will not look bad and you can enjoy your veneers for many years. Best of luck to you.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Replace Porcelain Veneers Due to Gum Recession

+1

Yes, in order to correct the cosmetics of your situation, you would need to replace the veneers. If the margins are crafted well to eliminate any bulk, excess, or poor contour, then you will get many more years of beauty until the margin shows once again due to age. A proper margin should be of matching color to the tooth structure above it, so that it should look OK even when it is exposed due to recession.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Also, those veneers must be replaced soon.

+1

I agree with Dr Lockhart, aging contributes sometimes with the gum receeding, but also please keep in mind that those veneers should be changed soon. I recommend to change them after 8-10 years at the most. If you get well crafted veneers again, ones that fit your gums, and if you have no gum disease, it is very probable that gum receeding will stop.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Gums pulling away from veneers

+1

This problem is fairly common, the question I would ask is their enough good tissue meaning attached tissue rather than unattached tissue... If all the attached tissue has been lost then you would be best to graft first t establish a good zone of attached tissue and then 3-4 months later new veneers or crowns, I would also suggest keeping the margins of the new crowns at the tissue margins rather than below to decrease chances of further recessions good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MAGD, MBA CEO of Baystate Dental PC.

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist