Red Rings/Hive Around Lipo Incisions? (photo)

I am 10 days post op Thigh Lipo. Doctor did not prescribe antibiotic. I am not taking ANY medication, not even pain medication. Doc gave me antibiotics during surgery. I am not running a fever (temp is 98-99). I am concerned about these raised red rings around healing lipo incisions. They seem like hives, SO ITCHY!!! Could I be allergic to dissolving stitches inside incisions? The incisions seem to be scabbed over/not oozing or sore. What could be causing this red ring that itches like CRAZY!

Red Rings/ Hives Around Liposuctions Incisions

+1

Thank you for the question. The red areas around your incisions appear to be an allergic reaction to adhesive tape or possibly sutures. You should consult with your surgeon about a treatment.

Red Rings/Hive Around Lipo Incisions? (

+1

This looks like an allergic reaction most likely to the adhesive on a circular dressing you may have been using. It is best for you to run this by your surgeon, who by asking a few questions can decide if you need to be seen or could be advised over the phone.

All the best. 

Hives after liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question about the red rings or hives around your liposuction incisions. Among other things, this can be -

• an allergic reaction to the suture,
  • a maceration reaction or allergy to tape adhesive.
  • infection or insect bite
  • See your liposuction surgeon, have the suture removed at once and have the tape cleaned off the skin. If they are the cause, the redness and itching should vanish. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Red Rings/Hive Around Lipo Incisions?

+1

Appears as a dermatitis to the suture, tape, or both. Are you an allergic person? Best to be seen for in person treatment. 

Could Be An Allergic Reaction or Infection At Liposuction Incisions

+1

Judging from your pictures, this appears to be an allergic reaction or infection. Were you wearing any bandages over the incision before or while this developed? If so, then you may be allergic to them (which probably means you're allergic to latex). If not, then you may have an infection. In either case, you should definitely see your surgeon about this as soon as possible, even if you think that it's just an allergic reaction. It's always best to communicate with them any negative reactions you're having while you recover. The best of luck and I hope this resolves soon!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Allergic reaction to band aids

+1

That looks like a contact dermatitis to the bandage adhesive. Your doctor can prescribe a high potency topical steroid to treat them. In the meantime, don't wear any bandages or adhesive tape. 

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Red ring at incision site

+1

It could either be an infection or an allergic reaction. Without a good exam it is difficult to say.  Best to see your surgeon.

Looks allergic in nature

+1

Of course if you are concerned see your plastic surgeon, but it almost looks like an allergic response.  Do you have any latex sensitivity?  It almost looks like you had band-aids covering the incisions and you had an allergic response to them.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

10 Days after Thigh Liposuction and Red Rings around Incisions

+1

Red rings around the incisions that itch may be an allergic reaction or a type of infection, among other things.  The safest thing is to have an examination by your plastic surgeon.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA