Is This a Double Bubble and is it Permanent? (photo)

I had breast aug 26 days ago.I know its still very early and I trust my surgeon.Is this double bubble? if I continue to massage the fold will my old fold blend/drape? I had mild ptosis and mildly constricted left breast.My crease was lowered,365 cc style 10 under the muscle with a circum lift.Any suggestions on what I can do to help the old crease blend, what happens if it does not settle, and from your experience is it still likely they will settle into the new crease properly?

Double Bubble after Breast Augmentation/Constricted Breasts?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised as to how well the lower pole breast skin "redrapes" over the breast implants. As you know, the important factors here are;  time and  skin/tissue relaxation/redraping. 

Although, patients who start out with constrictive/tuberous breasts have a higher incidence for the need for revisionary breast surgery, this evaluation should be made proximally 6 months after the surgery was performed. This time period is necessary to allow for the breast implant to fully “settle” and for the overlying skin/tissue to round out over the breast implant foundation.  The previous inframmammary fold  most frequently participate in the rounding out process.  I think that breast implant displacement exercises/massage and massage of the overlying skin may be helpful in this process.

Best wishes.   Please continue to be patient; hopefully you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

It primarily depends on how the breast folds are positioned

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You are seeing your natural breast fold slightly higher than the bottom portion of your breast implant.  Whether this needs correction or not depends on two factors: 1) if the bottom of the pocket progressively enlarges (goes further down) and/or 2) how the breast folds compare to one another.  If the breast folds look good and the pocket size is maintained the breast fold will relax almost certainly to an extent that you will not notice or be bothered by the crease.  In some cases it does not relax sufficiently and a little revision under local anesthesia can be performed to help further release it.  If the pocket progressively enlarges the fold will appear to be higher up on the breast with respect to the fold and this will have to repaired.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Permanent Double Bubble?

+2

Let me congratulate you on an excellent result. The crease that is present is ever so slight. I would venture to guess that in time, with gravity and massage, this will continue to dissipate just as predicted by your plastic surgeon. For the time being, be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon, he has done a very nice job.

Thank you for the question and the photos. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Too early to tell what final result will be

+1

You have a very nice early result.  I see no evidence of “double bubble” deformity.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Early double bubble may go away with time

+1

Thanks for the photos. I assume that the double bobble is on the bottom of your right breast. If you started out with mild constricted breast, then the breast fold needs to be lowered to accomodate the implant placement. In the process of lowering the breast fold, the tissues beneath the skin where your "old" breast fold is at are often "released" but the skin may take longer to relax and "redrape" to conform to your new implant. This process may take several months. I would recommend that you continue follow up with your plastic surgeon to monitor the progress of this "blending" for at least 6 months. Since your " double bubble" is quite mild I suspect that more likely than not it will blend nicely with your new breast fold. In the rare situation where it did not, you can still improve it with either minor revision and/or fat grafting. You are on a good starting point based on your recovery thus far. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Double bubble? Yes but

+1

Your photo does indeed show a bit of a double bubble with the implant pushing the breast upward and extending below the breast fold. We do feel however that the lower pole of the breast will relax and the fold will smooth out.

+1

I agree with Dr Rand I DO NOT see the "double bubble" effect in the posted photos. Best to follow up with your surgeon to discuss 

Early outcome

+1

hi

thanks for the question. this is a common question. as the other PS have said, you have a very nice result so far. Be patient! it takes time to heal. Your shape will continue to heal and recontour over the new implants. I am guessing that it should be fine, but only time will tell. 

implants tend to lower the natural Inframammary fold by about 1 cm or so on the typical patient. this will initially look odd to you but over time, it redrapes very nicely. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble after breast augmentation

+1

Thanks for your question.  A double bubble after breast augmentation occurs when there is an attempt at lowering the current breast fold to match a larger breast size.  The larger the diameter of the implant the more the inframammary fold needs to be lowered.  The more the inframammary fold is lowered the more visible the double bubble.  If the ligaments that form the double bubble is released during surgery and the individual does not form a lot of scarring (i.e. a breast capsule) then the double bubble will efface over 6-8 weeks after surgery.  You should not be active during this time as a lot of physical activity may cause injury to the capsule and possible pooling of blood in the lower pole.  When blood pools there there is the chance of forming a lower pole scar and this will prevent the old fold from effacing.  So doing breast surgery by lowering the fold can work great to avoid a lift in some selected patients but everything has to fall in place.  Good surgery, good scarring and compliant patient. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Too early to diagnose double bubble

+1

Your early result is quite nice.  Most likely the fold that you see will stretch and dissappear.  Massage and patience are the best remedy.  Tell your surgeon about your concerns and be as patient as you can.  Good luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon