Nose Surgery Plus Chin Implant, Fat Graft or Genioplasty? (photo)

I would like my chin profile to improve and was wondering if I can achieve the length simulated with a fat graft? I want to avoid implants or invasive procedures, but if a fat graft can't achieve the desired augmentation, which one would recommend you implant, genioplasty, etc...? I heard implants can get infected? I simulated a nose and chin augmentation with Photoshop, and also wanted to know the average price for both surgeries?

Rhinoplasty with chin implant

+1

Rhinoplasty and chin implant are often performed simultaneously.  We do not recommend fat grafts to the chin since they tend to resorb in a high pressure area such as over the chin.  The chin implant procedure involves placing a small silastic implant over the mandible on the bone through a submental incision. This gives the augmentation that most patients desire, giving a nice improvement to the retrusive chin and the illusion that the nose looks less projecting.  Reduction of the nasal hump and decreasing the nasal projection will also help with the chin nose balance.  The cost of a chin implant and rhinoplasty is around $9,700 in our office which includes the operating room, anesthesia, and surgeon’s fee for performing both the procedures.

Options for Chin augmentation

+1

A substantial and permanent augmentation of your chin can be best achieved with a chin implant. With an external skin incision for placement the infection risk is very low. Genioplasty while effective is considerably more invasive and unnecessary. Fillers can work but are temporary. See a surgeon who offers all these treatments to get the best obsjective advice.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Augmentation: Fat Graft vs Implant

+1

Clearly a chin implant is the most predictable and stable result. The incidence of infection is very uncommon especially if the incision is made beneath the chin rather than inside the mouth. You can get an idea how a fat transfer might look like by using a filler such as Jeuvederm or Restylane.

The cost rhinoplasty and chin augmentation is based on many factors: where in the US you live, experience of the surgeon, complexity of the procedure, in office vs hospital procedure, type of anesthesia, etc.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Chin implant versus fat grafting

+1

For this application, I would select the chin implant.  Yes, there is a risk of infection, but this is low with proper surgical technique and post-op care.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Improving the appearance of the profile

+1

In general, a surgical chin implant will yield the best result. Another temporary option is using filler. With filler, a “temporary chin implant” allows patient to see what a chin implant might look like prior to taking the plunge for a permanent implant. When performed properly by a highly skilled and experienced surgeon, the implant should not get infected. A chin augmentation can range from $5,000-$6,000. A primary rhinoplasty can range from $10,000-$15,000 depending on the individual circumstances of the patient. My junior associate Dr. Yoo (who I trained) performs the surgery for $7,000-$10,000. From here, I would recommend a consultation with an experienced surgeon who uses computer imaging software. This will allow him/her to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. Thank you and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin implant vs. genioplasty

+1

Fat grafting is not the gold standard for chin augmentation. Chin implants work very well, but if you have chin asymmetry, a genioplasty may also help.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS