What Are my Options for Addressing Lower Face Hollowing Without Significant Down Time? (photo)

I have developed increasing hollowing of my lower face over the last 3 years. I also have a jaw deformity (one side is higher, set back further and angled differently then the other). Because of the asymmetry with my jaw, the hollowing of my lower face is far more noticeable. When I had more volume in my lower face, my funky jaw asymmetry appeared to blend in with the rest of my face. What are my best options for addressing the hollowing with minimal down time?

Best Treatment to Correct Facial Loss of Volume

+1

Hi CP,

You appear to be an excellent candidate for Sculptra.  Sculptra will add volume in a natural manner to your face and return symmetry (as long as you choose a treating physician who has artistic vision).  Fortunately there should be no downtime with Sculptra treatments, although you will likely require 3 to 4 sessions of Sculptra spaced about 2 to 3 months apart.  The results are gradual, natural, and once achieved you should be good from 2 to 4 years before maintenance treatment will be neeeded.  Choose your injecting physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well. See the web reference below,

Dr. P

Facial Hollowing

+1

This is a common request from patients.  Facial fillers would be a great option to achieve what you are looking for.  A better option would be to use Sculptra (which requires multiple treatments) to help fill in the hollowed areas with longer lasting and gradual results.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Facial hollowing

+1

Injectable fillers can help soften your facial contour and hollows with the least downtime.  However, these fillers are not permanent, lasting usually less than a year.  Furthermore, you would need several syringes to provide enough volume to see a significant improvement.  Fat transfer or grafting is a procedure that can be performed to provide a more long term option..  Fat is harvested from your abdomen or thigh area and injected into your face to add volume.  This is associated with more downtime and usually requires some anesthesia, but can provide a more long term option.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forget fat if you don't want down time.

+1

Sculptra violates the instant gratification requirement because it relies on the body to respond to the product.  I personally to not like this product because it can't be easily adjusted.  Juvederm is ok but the two best products for this are Restylane and Perlane.

Facial hollowness

+1

For facial hollowness, you may be a good candidate for injectable fillers like Perlane, Juvederm, or Sculptra.

Cheek hollows and treatment

+1

Dear cp354,

You have several options with minimal downtime and one great options with a little more downtime

1. Fillers like Juvederm and Restylane can be injected with minimal bruising or swelling in this area, results can last about 1 year
  2. Sculptra is a another type of filler that requires multiple treatments but has longer lasting results - you get swelling for a few days, but minimal bruising
  3. Fat transfer is the best option (in my opinion) where we can sculpt the cheeks and jaws in one procedure that will last years...there are also ways to decrease downtime and bruising with this procedure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Lower Face Hollowing

+1

If you want to minimize downtime then you should consider injectable fillers.  For generalized filling, the Sculptra would work nicely.  However, you will likely need at lease three treatments separated by 6 weeks each.  If you can handle a little downtime, then you may want to consider fat transfer, when fat is harvested from somewhere else on your body and then injected in the areas of hollowing.  You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a complete evaluation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD