I had Rhinoplasty: implant on my bridge and tip reduction, columella extension done about a year ago. Why is my Nose still hard?

I had implant on my bridge and tip reduction, columella extension done about a year ago, my nose is still very hard. Will my nose be soft again if I take the implant out? Also when I touch the inside of my nose there is a cartilage like thing inside my right nostril close to the columella, I wondering what that is?

+1
You really need an examination to help determine what is reasonable based upon your current anatomy.

Firm nose after rhinoplasty

+1
Persistent firmness may be due to the “implant on the bridge” or a cartilage graft that might have been used to extend the columella. If you take the implant out, your nose probably will be softer, but may lose its current shape.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Firmness after Rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Jessica, The firmness is most likely a result of the implant and the grafts. This can only be determined by direct examination during consultation. This will typically soften up some after time. However again, an examination is needed to give you a true expert opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Healing after rhinoplasty

+1
healing after rhinoplasty
firmness can be due to the implant or the cartilage struts.
these can create long term firmness .
there may be some softening over time

Firmness Following Nasal Implant

+1
The firmness may be secondary to the implant or cartilage grafts. You need to be examined to determine what the"cartilage like thing" is adjacent to your columella. You need a long term followup exam by your surgeon or consult with another rhinoplasty specialist.

Nasal hardness After rhinoplasty

+1
Nasal hardness After rhinoplasty. I would need to examine your nose to determine  the cause otherwise I am guessing. 

Rhinoplasty

+1
Palpable or hard implants and grafts are common after rhinoplasty. The shape and function of the nose are what is critical. Over time some of the palpable implants will soften.

Avron Lipschitz, MD
Stuart Plastic Surgeon

Hard nose

+1
Typically, the implant(s) and cartilage strut grafts are more firm and supportive than your natural tissues it is assisting - since they were not properly supportive in the first place. There is also a bit of scar laid down everywhere there was cutting. This change change for up to two years. Because rhinoplasty is performed to improve the appearance and/or breathing functions of the nose, how it "feels" is typicallyof little importance and may be one of the trade offs for a successful result.
No idea what is in your nose. Your surgeon would know best.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD