My glabella and forehead both need botox. How many units would I need to have a natural looking forehead? (Photo)

I feel like my forehead muscles are 'strong'. How does a dr avoid over injecting? My biggest fear is looking frozen.

May not work

+1
unfortunately men have much stronger muscles than women do and the horizontal line on your forehead may not improve with Botox without closing your eyebrows to significantly droop.

How many u it's of BoTox?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  Men tend to have more animation of their foreheads as well as stronger musculature. It is not uncommon to require more BoTox than women counterparts.  I would expect that 35-45 units to the area would meet your expectations.  Hope that this helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

I Have Very Strong Forehead and Glabella Muscles. How do I Avoid the Frozen Look?

+1
Males with heavier forehead skin and very strong muscles need more Botox, it is true, than patients with thinner skin and less active muscles, but the key is not to put too much in at once, and never put it just above the eyebrows.  Treat the glabellar muscles, the corrugator and depressor supercilii to soften the frown, and use Botox transversely in the upper forehead in several rows putting a small amount every 2-3 cm. Do not put any in the lower half of the forehead.  Wait 2-3 weeks, re-evaluate, and put a little more wherever it is needed. There will be normal activity retained in the lower frontalis muscle to elevate the brows, but the upper hyperactivity will be gone. The more Botox that is used in an area the more likely that the area will be frozen, or will by so less mobile in comparison with surrounding areas as to look unreal. About 45 units, not necessarily all at once, will probably be sufficient.
Find a doctor who will understand your concerns and go slow.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Men

+1
A Botox treatment is best individualized for each specific patient. It’s one of the those drugs that although it’s only approved for the glabella (space between eyebrows) and the crow’s feet it is often used off label for other places on the face. The best way to approach is to go for a harmonious and natural look without looking ‘frozen’. In addition, sometimes men, due to larger muscle volume and thicker forehead skin, require slightly more Botox than women. Without an examination it’s impossible to tell you the exact amount you will need to get the results you desire. In my practice, on average, most patients receive between 32 and 44 units in a treatment.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Do your research

+1
Avoiding the "frozen" look is a concern of just about every Botox patient out there. Experience is key: it is extremely important to do your research when deciding where to go for your injections - seeking out board certified physicians with years of injectable experience is your best bet in achieving your desired results. 

Mark Petroff, MD
Lake Oswego Facial Plastic Surgeon

My glabella and forehead both need botox. How many units would I need to have a natural looking forehead?

+1
You have very strong muscle movement around your forehead, I suggest 30-40 units would give you a nice result you’re looking for 

How many units of Botox for forehead

+1
Hello and thanks for your question. You have a very strong forehead muscle, along with deep wrinkles between your eyebrows. There also seems to be some asymmetry of your eyebrows with the left lifting higher than the right. I would start you out with 35 units of Botox for your glabellar area (between your brows) along with 15 units strategically spread over your forehead. You may require additional units, but I think this is a good start.

To view a before and after of a male patient with forehead wrinkles see the link below.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Brotox...How Much Botox is Needed for a Strong Male Forehead

+1
Hi Fansonly,

Those are very strong forehead muscles that you have!  I think that somewhere between 30 to 40 units of Botox should give you a natural masculine appearance.  Choose your injecting physcian most carefully for your Bro-Tox.  Good luck and be well.

MIchael Persky, MD
Encino, CA

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox for very promient male muscles

+1
Some men require more units than women, but it's best to start with a conservative dose and add more if needed. In this case I would start with 25 units around the glabella and 15 units or so across the forehead. If after 7 days there is still a lot of movement, then I would inject a few more units into each site where needed. A flat, totally frozen face is really not a sign of a Botox injection - most people do not inject like this and it's something we try to avoid. Seek injections from a board-certified physician injector and discuss the outcome you are looking for before your treatment. Remember though that many of us will try to be conservative at your first visit and not over-inject so a follow-up visit and more units needed will not be totally uncommon.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How Many Units of Botox for Forehead and Glabella in a Man?

+1
  • I'm fairly conservative with Botox injections into the forehead for the horizontal lines that you are concerned about.  I usually begin with 12 units.  We can always add more later, but I want to make sure that we don't cause ptosis (sagging) of your brows. 
  • As far as the glabella region (the lines between your eyebrows) I usually use 20 units. 
  • Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS