My nostrils look asymmetrical six weeks after my nose-job: is this caused by the swelling? (Photo)

Do I need a new nose-job? It's been 6 weeks since I've got the surgery done, and my nostrils seems to be uneven.

Nostril asymmetry only six weeks post-rhinoplasty may improve as your swelling resolves.

If your nostril asymmetry does not improve with time, depending on your examination, you may be a candidate for non-surgical rhinoplasty treatments to improve symmetry. In our practice, we prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results.

All the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric nostrils at 6 weeks post rhinoplasty.

Asymmetric nostrils at 6 weeks post rhinoplasty is not unusual. It takes 9-12 months for the swelling to subside. Be patient and it will prob. Be ok. 

Asymmetric Nostrils 6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

Hi NJ,

It appears that there is asymmetry of your nostrils, but it also appears that they were that way in the pre-op photos.  Swellling may be contributing a bit, so you should wait at least a few months before considering any revision.  There is alar retraction of your right nostril which can be corrected with grafting.  Discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck and be well.

Michael Persky, MD

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril asymmetry

Your nostrils to appear asymmetric in the photos. However, the limitations of the photographs that you posted makes it difficult to assess in relation to the rest of your face. Having had rhinoplasty just six weeks ago, you should expect that there is still plenty of swelling. In fact, it takes months and in some cases up to a year for the swelling to completely subside. Right now you need to give this time and see better what the final result will be.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks edema s/p rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are a concerned with what you feel to be an unsuccessful rhinoplasty.
Nonetheless, at 6 weeks post surgery swelling is not uncommon and every patient is a little different than the other hence the inability to provide a razor sharp timing on when to anticipate to be edema-free and the end results are established

Unfortunately, with the pictures posted one cannot provide you with a definitive answer that could be medically sound.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides extensively before you can make a sound judgement. There is no doubt that once the swelling subsides, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

It is way to soon to make any determination about the asymmetry of your nose. Your nose is very swollen still, and you will not see the final result for months. Your nose will continue to change as it settles into it's final shape.

Philip Miller, MD

Asymmetrical Nostril concerns

Dear Nosejob101, Asymmetry may be present immediately after surgery and as the time goes by if the asymmetry persists then there is a higher likelihood of it not dissipating. With this said you are still in the early stages of recovery and will have to remain patient for a bit and wait for some more time to pass before you can determine this. I would certainly take this time to discuss your concerns with your surgeon to help put your mind at ease through the recoveryprocess. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

My nostrils look asymmetrical six weeks after my nose-job: is this caused by the swelling?

It is always difficult to assess the final result so early in the healing process.