How long does it usually take for bruising under eyes after rhinoplasty to go away?

I'm at day 9 and I still have some pretty good bruises under the eyes.

Swelling and bruising after Rhinoplasty

+2
Dear LA, thank you for your question.It may take several months for swelling to subside after rhinoplasty. Here in San Diego, we follow our patients for one year to follow their healing. Consider following up with your surgeon to monitor your progress and see if any intervention is necessary. Rarely a second opinion may be in order. Best of Luck.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does it usually take for bruising under the eyes after rhinoplasty to go away?

+2
It can take up to two weeks for the bruising to go away, and sometimes longer depending on the patient. Arnica cream applied directly to the bruising can help speed up the process. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she may have specific guidelines for you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+2
Dear LApaintr,

• It usually takes about 2 weeks for the bruising to resolve
  • It will change to greenish-brown, then yellow before completely fading
  • Try arnica tablets (you can get it in a natural food store) and fresh pineapple to speed up the process

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+2
Not everyone gets bruising after rhinoplasty, but it is not at all uncommon to occur.  If bruising does happen, it normally settles under the eyes and gradually improves over time.  Sometimes it may take just a few days to go away but sometimes it can take a week or two.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+2
I typically cousel rhinoplasty patients that the bruising can take up to 2 weeks to resolve. Cool compresses that were used for the first 3 days after surgery can be switched to warm compresses after postop day 7. This increases blood flow to the area and can "wash" away the bruisng a day or so more quickly. With that said, I would recommend being evaulated by your surgeon and asking him/her is this practice would be appropriate for you.

Bryan Ambro, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising....If we only knew...

+2
Hi there,

there is one thing I always promise my rhinoplasty patients' (if they ask), you can never predict the color of the bruise or how long it takes untill it goes away.  All of us surgeons have yet to figure out how to predict this. There have been studies done looking at the color of bruising and if that correlates with time, the age of the person, etc and really nothing predicts this (apart from being on blood thinners). its not uncommon to have bruising at day 9, but the most important thing is that you do not want it to be getting worse of have a "lump" under the bruise. If either of those occur, you should see your surgeon immediately.

Based on your description, it sounds like it will just be a matter of time.  

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising

+2
Thank you for your question and everyone is different but try taking some arnica and bromelin they may help

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Post Rhinoplasty

+2
Hello, everyone is different when it comes to healing time for bruising post surgery. If this is concerning to you, I would suggest you contact your surgeon to be sure that everything is okay.

Jaime Perez M.D.
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Bruising after rhinoplasty

+1
Thanks for your question.
Here are some recommendation with regards to how to decrease bruising
-ask your surgeon for suggestions
-Keep head of bed elevated.
-apply cold compress during the first three days
-Eat Pine apple or take pine apple extract
- take Arnica pills and apply arnica Cream

Dr Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS