How long do chin implants last?

Do they need to be replaced like breast implants? Also, will the implant erode the chin bone after several years of wear? Thanks for any input!!

Chin Implants

+3
Chin Implants are made out of solid silicone so they should never have to be replaced and they are soft enough to where they won't erode the bone.

Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Permanent chin implants

+3
Chin implants are made of a solid silicone material that does not usually need to be replaced. Studies show that there is some erosion of the underlying mandible but that is not normally clinically significant.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin implant placement

+2
 Chin implants are solid silicone implants, while breast implants are filled with saline or silicone fluid. As long as the chin implant has been placed in the correct position it should last a lifetime. It's also noted  during the removal of some chin implants there is a  couple of millimeter  bony erosion which has no clinical side effects for patients. For many examples and more information about Chin implants, please see the link below

How long do chin implants last

+2
Chin implants are a permanent solution to a receded chin.  It adds projection to the chin to balance out the lower half of the face.  There is very little chance of bone erosion.  I have been performing chin implant surgery for over 20 years and haven't had an issue with bone erosion.

How long do #chin implants last?

+2
Chin implants last a life time. They are solid and sit right on top of the chin and jawbone. Therefore, there is no visible contracture and no reason to replace them unless one were to decide on a larger implant or a different shape in the future. I agree with my colleagues that there is likely a small amount of bone resorption after placing a chin implant but this is not clinically significant. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant permanence and bone effects

+1
Chin implants do not need to be replaced unless they are damaged, e.g. by a car accident.
The implant sits over the bone and in time wears a small groove in the bone. Except in unusual cases, e.g. severe osteoporosis, this is of no importance.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

How long do Chin implants Last?

+1
Shopgirl19,

A chin implant is permanent, adding definition and a projection to the chin. While there is a possibility of bone erosion, which refers to a weakening of the bone which the implant lies on, this is extremely rare. I personally have never encountered an issue with bone erosion.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

How long do chin implants last?

+1
  Chin implants tend to remain without problems for years or decades.

How long do chin implants last

+1
Chin implants are made of solid silicone material.  I've been doing them 30 years and have never seen bone erosion.  They are very safe, and resolve the problem of a receding chin.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Permanency of Chin Implant Materials

+1
Chin implants are made of a solid materials that will never degrade, break down or need to be replaced due to 'device failure'. Some settling into the bone can be seen in some patients with chin implants but this is minor and of no medical or aesthetic consequence.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD