I would like a lip lift to balance my facial features & bring my upper lip closer to my nose. What is the best approach?

I am told there are several techniques - muscle hemming, skin only, etc. I am worried that skin only will result in a short term result and a larger upper lip.  Thank you!

Lip Lift ? (photo)

+2
Contrary to some other responders, I believe a lip lift may really work well for you, but the only way to be sure is office exam.  Before recommending the procedure to anyone, I simulate the result in mirror so patient understands and agrees with planned result.  Also, based on nostril anatomy and complexion, I can plan scar for maximal concealment.  The procedure done with 5x surgical optics, scar usually disappears.  

Technical considerations you mention are important, and I incorporate situationally dependent variable elements to protect and enhance naturally beautiful features, such as size, shape, and position of lips, upper incisor (dental) show, and sometimes nasal elements.

Subnasal Lip Lift Techniques

+2
Whatever you do in a subnasal lip lift, do not have the muscle manipulated, sutured or anchored. That is a sure way to cause problems with your smile and create problematic lip tightness. A subnasal lip lift should be a skin only procedure that is not aggressively done to avoid a pulled up look. There may be some percent of  postoperative lip lengthening (relapse) with a skin only lip lift (around 20%) but that is a much easier problem to manage than any problematic lip tightness/dysfunction.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lip Lift

+2
Whatever technique used it will leave a scar under the nose on the upper lip. I will be hesitant to put a scar that could be obvious specially for a minor problem

Lip lift

+1
Lip lifts do 3 things: shortens the distance between your upper lip and nose, rolls out the mucosa and increases incisor show.You appear to be an excellent candidate for this technique.It is done under local anesthesia, takes about 15 to 30 minutes to do and costs $3,000.This is a skin only technique and you do not require any plications of the underlying muscle.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon