Will going back to work 9 days after my rhino negatively effect me in terms of swelling and risk?

I just got my rhino a week ago today and I get the cast off today! My restaurant called me to see if I can waitress a busy night this coming Saturday for them. I said yes and now I am worried it was a mistake. I am wondering how jumping back into a fast paced environment only 9 days after surgery will affect me and my nose. Is it too soon?

Time of Work for Waitress who had rhinoplasty

+1
Each physician have different guidelines regarding post operative care. Typically, light activity can resume 5 to 7 post surgery. More strenuous activity is generally started 3 to 6 weeks post surgery. Residual swelling that can take 6 to 12 months to resolve but not noticable to the general public. Consult with your surgeon regarding your case as he or she will know the scope of surgery and the specifics about you.

Yes you can do it but watch out for physical contact !

+1
Most of my patients feel ready to go back to work after one week after the rhinoplasty procedure. They are all well informed to take it easy and do not engage in any straining and heavy physical activities for the next 2 weeks and contact sports for 6 weeks
As long as you are not lifting any heavy items and still remember about what to avoid at this time of recovery you should not put yourself at risk of additional swelling. Make sure you take some breaks and rest - do not over do it.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Will going back to work 9 days after my rhino negatively affect me in terms of swelling and risk?

+1

When healing from rhinoplasty, it is generally best to avoid any strenuous activity the first week and gradually increase activity during the second week. Not following these guidelines may increase swelling and delay your healing time. If possible, I advise patients to take two weeks off. This is especially recommended if the patient has a job that involves a lot of activity. I would recommend following up with your surgeon and see what he/she advises, as there may be specific guidelines he or she would like you to follow. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Strenuous activity is not advised during the first two weeks, but going back to work may be fine. I would run this by your surgeon.

Take it easy after rhinoplasty

+1

High level of activity within the first few weeks after rhinoplasty can cause increased swelling and potentially some bleeding (in the first 2 weeks especially).

I advise my patients to take it easy. There are no "hard and fast" rules about when you can start. I would say that you should let your employer know that you need to take it more slowly, if you do decide that you have to work.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD