Feels Like Ropes Underneath Skin Along Tummy Tuck Incision?

Is it normal to feel like ropes are underneath my skin along my tummy tuck incision? I am 3 weeks post-op.

It may be the sutures that you are feeling

+2

Thank you for your question.  If the "ropes" that your are feeling run perpendicular to your incision line you are most likely feeling the sutures and some of the tension on the tissue that they create when they are tied.  Most of the plastic surgeons use dissolvable sutures so this feeling should subside as swelling improves and the sutures begin to dissolve.

Dr Remus Repta

At three weeks, the tummy tuck incision feel just as you are describing

+2

The process of healing takes time and at three weeks, you should feel exactly what you are feeling.  The scar feels raised, hard, and like a rope.  This will flatten and soften with time.  Ask your plastic surgeon for a scar ointment to speed this along.

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck healing

+2

It sounds like from your description that you are feeling the incision healing below the skin.  This is typically normal and should soften with time.  Check with your plastic surgeon and see what they recommend.  At my Austin, Texas plastic surgery practice I have patient massage the areas and they will gradually fade away.  Thanks. Dr. Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Rope Feeling

+1

Without pictures or being able to examine you, no online physician would be able to give you a reliable answer.  I suggest you go see your operating surgeon ASAP for assessment.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)