Eurasian Nose with Bulbous Tip, How to Remedy? (photo)

Hello, I would like to have a less bulbous/thick nose that's more defined at the tip. More bothersome is how wide my nose spreads when smiling. Physicians, would you recommend a tip plasty and/or an alar plasty? My ethnicity is half Korean, and I'm wondering if I should consider looking into pursuing these procedures in Korea, where they might understand my face a little better? Any suggestions fall upon listening ears! Thank you.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and widened nostrils

+1

Rhinoplasty to reduce the Bulbous tip involves a combination of suturing techniques to the nasal tip cartilages, grafting to the tip and occasional cartilage removal. An alar plasty is performed to narrow the nostrils by making an incision at the base of the nostrils and removing a small portion of skin. Osteotomies will be required to narrow  the bridge line if necessary. Our  rhinoplasty photo gallery link is listed below

+1

My recommendation is to address the features which bother you.  Adjustments in size and definition of tip, projection of tip, base of columella, and alar base width are all possibilities.  Straightening dorsum may also be considered.  There are thousands of excellent rhinoplasty surgeons in U.S., and, because we're in the most ethnically diverse country in the world, have experience with most presentations.  South Korean surgeons are also undoubtedly equally expert at managing your concerns.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty with alar base reduction would provide your desired results

+1

Dear freckles2010, 

A tip plasty and alar base reduction would probably help you achieve the described desired results. There is no reason to go to Korea for this procedure. As a prominent nasal surgeon in Orange County I have the experience of operating on many different ethnic noses. We have a large population of patients with different ethnicity's and each ethnicity has it's own typical complaints related to these genetic differences. I provide computer imaging to my patients to allow the patient to see the proposed surgical result. Along with this I have hundreds of photographs which show the preoperative photograph, the digital imaging photograph and then the patient's final result. This allows the consulting patient the ability to see how close in proximity the proposed result is to their final result. An in office consultation with direct examination will help you with your questions and to see what the surgeon would suggest as the best surgical plan. Consultations are complimentary with digital imaging and then the patient can review the many before and after photographs of patient's with similar noses. I hope this is helpful to you and thank you for your inquiry. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Eurasian Nose with Bulbous Tip, How to Remedy?

+1

From the photos provided, the nose is a bit wide, crooked with a slightly wide nasal tip.  Rhinoplasty would be able to thin/straghten the nose as well as thin the nasal tip.

Tip rhinoplasty works.

+1

Hi.

You have a dorsum of good height, and as you say the profile should not be changed.  This makes the problems with your nose not particularly "Asian".  You just need a tip plasty with the open approach, alar base reduction, an alar narrowing with a purse string suture.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Your goals could be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty wherein the nasal tip cartilages are narrowed and grafting is done at the tip to give more definition.  The nostril flaring can be addressed by narrowing them with hidden incisions inside the nose.  A detailed plan can only be determined with an in-person exam.   Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

There are plenty of gifted surgeons who have had experience working on Asian noses in Los Angeles. I am sure you will find someone who can provide you the results you are looking to achieve with tip definition (to correct the "bulbous" tip), and narrowing of the nostrils (alar base reduction). I would confirm that your vision is in agreement with your surgeon by asking for morphing of photos. Save the money you would spend on a ticket to Korea. Good luck!

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Eurasian rhinoplasty

+1

Your nose lacks some degree of tip projection and you have a wide nasal base.  You would benefit from an open rhinoplasty with refinement of the nasal tip and a columellar strut graft for tip support.  

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

You have bulbous tip with moderately thick skin and wide nasal base. The deviation of your nose which is exaggerated on smiling has be corrected. Ala are asymmetric and flared. The columella  show has to be corrected. The nasal base can be reduced by Alar Repositioning Technique which does not leave any scars. Your dorsal height need not be affected. See before and after photos. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty with tip refinement etc.

+1

Asian rhinoplasty with tip refinement etc. is corrected by narrowing the cartilage with or without a tip graft and defating of the tip skin. This has worked well for me over the past 35 years.