How Easy is the Recovery During Breast Implant Exchange?

After a Revision and a lift because of capsules, I am unhappy with how large my breast are. How easy would another surgery recovery be, if I exchanged my now 500cc's with 375 or 400 cc's ? Would I require drains and steroids as I did with my revision to fix a capsule issue?

Simple implant exchange has an easy convalescence.

+1

If the implants are going to be positioned back in the same pocket, the convalescence should be easy.

Revision surgery recovery is easier then the first time

+1

but if you need further lifting with downsizing, you may still have considerable restrictions on your activities.  You are expected to have much less discomfort this time around.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

As a rule this should be a simple recovery, without needing drains nor steroids. If further lifting is needed with the downsizing, the recovery will not be quite as simple. All the best. 

+1

Dear Lidia,

Thank you for your question.  It is hard to know without photos.  However, in general implant exchanges are very simple and very low pain and downtime.  However in your case, with downsizing, you may need a concurrent revision of your lift if you had one, or a first lift, if you never had one.  This depends on your exam.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast augmentaton for smaller size should be easy.

+1

Hi.

If you just want smaller size, a revision breast augmentation should be very simple and not require drains.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Recovery During Breast Implant Exchange?

+1

Generally speaking, patients find that removal/replacement of breast implants is a very well tolerated procedure, much more so than initial breast augmentation surgery. Again, generally speaking, the use of drains and/or steroids are not necessary.

Of course, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for accurate/relevant information.