Why do some doctors use drains with a BBL procedure and some do not?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method for long term success of the procedure? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method for the patient recovery?

Drains or no drains with BBL

+1
Although the choice to use drains is occasionally just a surgeons personal preference, many times it is based upon scientific evidence.  In the case of BBL, there is no scientific evidence but is could be possible that a particular surgeon prefers drains because s/he has had better results with them.  I personally see no advantage to using drains when performing a BBL.

If you want 6 different opinions, all you need to do is to ask 2 different plastic surgeons....

+1
Seriously, we all have our little differences in how we like to do things, and most of those differences are pure personal preference, sometimes without much scientific basis.

Having said that, I'll tell you that the way I do my BBL, you never need drains and would suffer all of the disadvantages (discomfort, risk of drain site infections, risk of dislodgment, etc) with none of the benefits (a drier, less bloody wound, lowered risk of developing a fluid accumulation, etc).

Provided you've discussed the procedure with a board certified plastic surgeon, he or she should be giving you good advice that you can rely on.

Best of luck

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

+1
     Drains are uncomfortable and can be a nuisance.  Drains can break with a piece inside the body.  Drains can be a source for infection.  I generally do not use drains, but it is perfectly acceptable to use them.

I think the key to choosing a surgeon has more to do with experience and the results generated.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after photos.