How common is internal scar tissue formation after Asian rhinoplasty? Or any primary rhinoplasty procedure for that matter?

I am Asian with thicker, oily skin. I do not consider myself the greatest healer. My body tends to overproduce scar tissue. I am concerned that my nose will develop scar tissue under the nose and not heal properly. How common is this in Asians, or any primary rhinoplasty? Are there particular tip refinement techniques that you can use to minimize this risk? Thanks.

Scar tissue in rhinoplasty

+1
Scarring can occur an rhinoplasty just as in any other surgery. Internal scarring can cause breathing problems.  If there is an external incision, it can also create a scar. Most of the time, however, the nose scars very favorably and inmost cases it is not a big issue.

Asian Rhinoplasty and Scar Tissue

+1
Thank you for the question. The thickness of the skin covering the tip of the nose has a significant effect on rhinoplasty results. However, it is rare to form so much scar tissue that the results are compromised. In patients with thick skin, the skin of the tip can be thinned from the inside during the surgery. This, plus addition of cartilage grafts, will help with definition in the tip region. In patients who form keloids or hypertrophic scars, injections of a steroid after the procedure may be very helpful. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar formation after rhinoplasty is genetically predetermined

+1
Thanks for your question.  Scar formation after surgery is predetermined by your genetics.  The darker our skin is, the more likely we can form thicker scars such as hypertrophic scars and keloids, which can greatly impact your rhinoplasty results.  Improved Asian rhinoplasty results can be enhanced by using cartilage tip and dorsal grafts and sometimes thinning the skin for best results

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Internal Scar Tissue after Asian Rhinoplasty

+1
Scar tissue that will have a significant impact on the appearance or function of a nose is unusual after rhinoplasty if the work is done by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. The risk is not zany greater in those who are Asian. 

Thick skin and scar tissue

+1
It has been my experience that scar tissue is usually related to unresolved bleeding more than any other factor.  Achieving good homeostasis (control all bleeding)--best achieved with open technique rather than closed in my hands, delicate handling of the tissues, spraying the tissue field with a fibrin sealant (platelet rich plasma) and careful application of tape and splints has eliminated a lot of the rind-like scar layer that I witnessed early in my career.  

R. Laurence Berkowitz, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue and rhinoplasty

+1
Thick skinned individuals tend to retain more fluid in the tip of the nose which requires cortisone shots  and Blenderm tape to reduce the lymphatic edema and reduce scar tissue formation. Formation of scar tissue is a physiologic  response to having had surgery, and can sometimes be unpredictable.

Scar tissue in Asian and all rhinoplasty is present.

+1
Scar tissue in Asian and all rhinoplasty is present. There is no problem with this except thick skinned patients need to have all subcutaneous tissue remove to show more definition. Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons know how to do this.