Can a chin filler be as effective as a chin implant?

Hi i am a 25 year old male with a very bad receding chin, which i would love to correct. Unfortunately i have an heart condition in where it would be dangerous for me to go under the knife. So the only solution for me would be to take up the option of a chin filler? My question is - would a chin filler like Radiesse be able to give me the same results as an implant would do? How many mm can a chin filler exactly add? Thanks in advance.

Chin augmentation: filler versus implant

+2
Each have their own pros and cons. A chin implant can give you more customization of your look. It can help projection, width and increase vertical height. Filler can improve projection and width but is less effective in increasing vertical height. Furthermore, when filler is injected into the soft tissue of the chin, a "Witch's Chin" can become apparent, especially with smiling. Furthermore, the results obtained with implants are generally more dramatic than those obtained with filler alone.

Filler Substitution for Chin Implant

+1
Jmatthew86,

To answer your question, a chin filler like Radiesse would be able to provide a similar result to a chin implant. However, the results would not be long lasting and will not be as prominent as an implant. In your case, you may be able to receive the surgery under local anesthesia, which I recommend asking your physician about beforehand. I hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

+1
Using filler for a temporary chin implant is a great alternative, but will not give the same result as a permanent implant. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. He or she will advise you as to what to expect from the outcome following an in-person exam. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Fillers for Receding Chin

+1
Though I cannot give a full assessment without photos, a bad receding chin usually cannot be corrected by fillers alone. Permanent filler may give you significant augmentation but with large volume, it may appear sagging in the long term. You also cannot control the definition and contour of filler either permanent or temporary, as compared to implants. 
Usually, minor procedures done under local anesthesia is not contraindicated for people with heart condition, but you can ask your cardiologist about this just to be sure.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
While a chin implant would give the best, long term solution, fillers can be used.  If your doctor would clear you or give you permission to have a chin implant under local anesthesia, that may work for you.  That said, I have been using fillers such as Radiesse to give projection to the chin for many years.  It works very well and I think it is a great option.  Radiesse will last approximately 1 year.  Typically, I use 1 syringe (1.5cc) for the chin.  You say your chin is fairly receded, so you may need it more frequently in the beginning.

Can a #chin #filler be as effective as a chin #implant?

+1
No. Fillers are a great way to try on the look of a facial implant. However, fillers are temporary and cannot provide the same amount of shape and forward projection as a chin implant. Chin implants can be placed in the office with local anesthetic and a light oral sedation (if you wish). It's not clear what type of heart condition you have but this is typically well tolerated. The main limitation would be if you require blood thinners for treatment of your heart condition. This can create issues both with fillers as well as chin surgery. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate for very bad receding chin

+1
We do not recommend chin fillers since they're only temporary and can offer only a minimal amount of improvement at best. A chin implant can be placed under local anesthesia without any sedation whatsoever. The procedure takes approximately 30 minutes, a small incision was made underneath the chin and the implant is inserted  directly over the mandibular bone underneath the periosteum. For many examples of chin implants and more information, please see the link below

Radiesse or a chin implant

+1
Your chin can be enlarged with filler or with an implant.

I use Radiesse which is longer lasting than Juvederm or other hyaluronic acid fillers.

However, if your heart condition is such that you can have local anesthesia with light sedation, and if your chin needs substantial augmentation, a chiin implant will be better.

Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - and have your surgeon call and talk to your cardiologist to understand what can and can't be done safely for you -- Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

+1
    I have done many of both.  If you want anything more than a subtle change, a chin implant is better to achieve your goals.

Chin Filler as Effective as Chin Imlant?

+1
Fillers can add volume to a chin but in most cases cannot provide the same contour and definition  as an implant. I would question the recommendation that an implant would be dangerous because of a heart condition; I've never seen this in 35 years of doing this work.