Breast Asymmetry Correction? (photo)

I have always had asymmetry in my breasts (left is bigger) but recently it seems to be becoming more dramatic. I was wondering what would be recommend to correct this? I am open to breast augmentation but do like the look and size of my left breast despite it's small size. I also have faint <1 year old scars under my breasts from tattoo removal gone wrong, would this be a hindrance? Additionally I am concerned about my ability to breast feed in the future. Age: 21 Height: 5'4 Weight: 135/140

Breast asymmetry before surgery

+2

The tattoo removal scar should not be an issue. Your left breast is indeed larger than the right but you also have a higher breast fold on the right with a greater percentage of right breast tissue at or above the nipple level. Your shoulders are not level in your posted photos so it is unclear if your nipples lie at different levels.

Clearly just putting an implant in on the right will not make you more symmetric and most asymmetric women who just put an implant in on one side for cosmetic purposes are unhappy with the different feel and look of their breasts. To get more symmetry you have to lower the fold on the right (especially if your nipples are level), redistribute the right breast tissue to fill the then larger lower half space and then choose an impant size. There are reliable ways to calculate the volume of your 2 breasts in helping you choose an implant size. In most of such cases it is better to go with saline implants because the implants have some leeway in terms of their fill volumes so you can fine tune the sizes of a larger implant on the right and smaller one on the left to get your final result. If you use silicone implants it will be harder to achieve that degree of size symmetry.

Although the consent forms say you may have trouble breast feeding after the surgery I have not heard of this being an actual problem after augmentation. If you are completely against implants you could try fat grafting but that does not change the fact that the fold needs adjusting on the right. Grafting would also require multiple grafting sessions to get the amount of fill you would have from one implant surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Breast augmentation does not affect the ability to breast feed.

+2

The asymmetry can be easily corrected with a breast augmentation. The previous tattoo scarring has no effect. The placement of breast implants will have no effect on future breast-feeding.

Breast Asymmetry Correction?

+2

Thanks for the photos. They make it easy to answer. Usually an augmented breast looks different from a nonaugmented breast so your best chance at symmetry is to augment both. The implant I have used the most with the best results for this problem is an adjustable Mentor Spectrum implant. It can be placed in the smaller breast and gradually enlarged or decreased in size in the doctor's office with you awake and watching a couple of weeks after surgery  by using a small needle in a specific part of the implant. This way you can add or subtract saline until you are happy the symmetry is corrected.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Free fat grafting

+2

I would consider fat grafting to your smaller right side and smaller amounts to the upper pole of the left side. You may benefit from the lipo contouring of the donor site.  Risks and benefits and setting proper expectations need to be discussed formally with Your surgeon. Good luck!

Chia Chi Kao, MD

Breast implants are good option.

+2

Hello and thanks for your post. One of the best ways to improve asymmetry between a woman's breasts is using different size breast implants. Breast feeding can proceed normally in most cases, but you should speak to your chosen PS about your scars and whether they will affect the result of surgery. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Use fat grafting

+1
Fat grafting with the use of BRAVA is  natural way to do this.  Implants with enhance asymmetry.Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry surgey

+1

at your age with changing breast size,  there are several issues.

you may continue to grow

you should therefore seek a short term solution

consider a saline implant on the small rt side for now.. you may still have  asymmetries out of clothing.

ultimately  , when your size is stable.   reshaping with a lift and or reduction can be considered

any surgery theoretically can affect breast feeding but usually not

Breast surgery options

+1

You have a few different options.  One is to place different size implants in each breast.  If you don't want implants, a real simple solution would be to perform liposuction on the larger breast to improve the size discrepancy.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation with asymmetry

+1

You should be able to obtain a good result with breast augmentation on the smaller side to better match the opposite side. You do have an apparent asymmetry in the nipple areola complex with one side appearing wider in diameter. Perfect symmetry is unlikely but significant improvement should be straight forward.  breast augmentation alone should not affect your ability to breast feed in the future. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in cosmetic breast surgery in your area. Good luck!

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry correction with implants is useful

+1

You could consider augmentation of your smaller breast with a form-stable silicone implant and then doing a peri-areolar breast lift to improve nipple/areolar symmetry. It will be impossible to achieve perfect symmetry in your case.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS