Botox Question: Recovery Time of Treatment?

My concern is getting Botox and accidentally twitching/rubbing the area (without knowing or realiziang it) within the 4 to 6 hr recovery time. What are the realistic chances that the Botox will, for sure, migrate to other areas and cause droopiness? I hear from some medical folks that it's not that likely to migrate but Doctors like to "be safe than sorry". What is the truth behind the likelihood? Also, I have back issues and need to sleep without a pillow. Is that fine after the 4 hr recovery?

Botox recovery

+2

It's ok to touch your face after Botox. It's not ok to have something like a facial or facial massage right after. I tell people that's it's fine to just be normal. I have found zero difference if people work out, lie down, etc. and I've injected Botox for about 20 years. The effects and outcomes are dependent on the experience of your injector.

Don't worry about it...there's relatively little you can do to mess up botox...

+1

once the botox has been injected, there's relatively little you're likely to do to change the ultimate outcome...in spite of lots of advice on what to and what not to do, none of the recommendations have the backing of science...get it injected correctly and then you can pretty much do what you want...even go to the gym...don't worry about rubbing the area and certainly by the time you go to bed, the botox isn't going to move around...don't worry...

Ken Landow, MD

Botox and activity right after injection

+1

After Botox injection it has always been thought that massaging the skin may cause it to migrate, although I haven't seen this happen.  I don't tell my patients to change their activity after injection, but I would advise against massaging the skin on the day of injection. I have seen rare cases of Botox migrating into the eyelid and causing droopiness, but this was with injection for eyelid spasms where the drug was injected fairly close to the eyelid elevating muscles.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and massage

+1

I doubt you can technically manipulate the product enough to cause "migration" to other areas. It is completely fine to sleep without a pillow - injecting into the muscles doesn't allow for movement where it isn't placed. If you've had an experienced and well-trained injector do the treatment, you'll be fine.

Sam Naficy, MD

Recovery from Botox injections - Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

+1

Botox is very safe for injection onto the face.  You can resume normal activities, but just to be sure, most doctors recommend avoidance of strenuous activity for a few hours. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Recovery time from Botox injections

+1

There is no evidence to suggest that accidentally twitching/rubbing the area after Botox injections will affect your results. Within 20 to 90 minutes after neurotoxins such as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin are injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox, Dysport or Xeomin very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and recovery time

+1

Generally speaking Botox stays put where the injector put it. That said, I would do any facial or massage to the face within 48hrs, nor generally rub the area aggressively. As long as you have a highly trained and experienced physician injector like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon, you'll be in great hands such that droopiness is a very very rare event. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Movement With Massage

+1

Botox usually does not move to create weakness in other muscles with normal touching or occasional rubbing during the first few hours. Some surgeons use a large volume of dilute Botox solution which will tend to spread much more than a small volume of concentrated solution. There may be the same number of units of Botox in the two solutions, but if massaged, the more dilute solution will tend to move to areas where it is not wanted. The most concentrated Botox solution is 100 units per cc. This is the best concentration to prevent undesirable spread. Regardless of the concentration, it is best to avoid excessive massage of the area until the next day.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Botox and recovery

+1

Botox injections usually are fairly benign in terms of complications. The most common are bruising and some swelling.  

Botox and migration

+1

I recommend NOT massaging the area 3-4 hours post Botox to keep the Botox from migrating where you do not want it.  We know the Botox does have a zone of spread which depends on how it is diluted.  It is very rare to have a complication from Botox and it is the most popular cosmetic procedure that I do in my office. I think it is ok to sleep without a pillow.  Lana Long,M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon