Botox Question on Glabella Area?

I am considering having Botox done this summer & recently met with a doctor for a consultation. He tells me that what I can expect is for the injected area to come down slightly, but when reading many doctors' advices on here, most medical experts are saying that patients can expect a slight lift from Botox within the injected glabella area. Please kindly elaborate. The doctor I went to seems very experienced. It's just the fact that he said the area will cause a slight shift downwards scares me.

Botox to glabella

+2

I think you should listen to the doctor you saw.  Everyone's anatomy is different.  Some people do get a slight lowering of their inner eyebrows when the glabella is injected, while other's may get a lift.  Typically, injecting the glabella causes that muscle to relax, and the lateral brow to elevate slightly and the glabella just to flatten and relax a bit.  If you are unhappy with the opinion of the doctor you saw, seek a second and third opinion, but I think in person, since everyone is different. 

Paramus Dermatologist

It all depends on your particular facial anatomy

+1

In answer to your question, it depends on your particular facial anatomy as well as your Botox injector’s experience level. If your injector is strictly injecting the corrugator muscles (known as the glabella or the number 11 lines) you shouldn’t notice any real drop in your forehead.  However, if they also inject your forehead to reduce horizontal wrinkles you may experience a dropped brow appearance.  This is related to the Frontalis muscle of the forehead that holds everything up.  When we relax part of the Frontalis muscle, depending on the amount of Botox used, it can relax it too much and drop the brow.  There are many different injection techniques to avoid this effect.  I would recommend going to a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon as they have the most experience with the facial muscles and anatomy.  In addition to this, if you have any hooding of your upper eyelids Botox can exacerbate this by relaxing certain muscles of your face.  When placed in selective locations, botox can give you a slight lifting effect of the brows.  Discuss your concerns with your doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for botox.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and lift

+1

When injected properly, Botox to the muscles in the glabella will allow a passive "lift" not drop of that area.

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for the glabella frown lines

+1

In most cases there is a slight lift in the brow, although if the upper forehead is being treated, then there can be a slight drop in the brows. As long as you have a highly trained skin expert such as a dermatologist, you can be sure that you'll have the optimal balance of great results and safety. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating the glabella by injecting the corrugator and procerus

+1

There are two muscles in the area referred to as the glabella: the procerus and the paired corrugator supercilii.  The procerus creates the dynamic horizontal lines while the corrugator creates vertical lines, or the so-called "11s".  Both muscles are brow depressors and relaxing these muscles will result in subtle medial brow elevation.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Expectations for Botox in the glabella

+1

WIthout photographs and a personal examination, it is hard to say for sure in your case.

For most patients, relaxing the corrugator muscles with the Botox causes the medial brows to elevate and widen slightly.  If you treat the forehead  (frontalis muscle) at the same time, the lifting effect will be minimal since the lift is generated by the frontalis muscle.  The lateral brow can be lifted by a drop of Botox under the lateral brow.

In general the medial brow position change is relatively subtle if the corrugators alone are treated.  The glabella is probably the most predictable treatment area and is ideal for a first time treatment.  The good and bad news about Botox is the same:  If you don't like it, it will wear off in about 4 months.  If you do like it...you'll have to get some more in about 4 months.

Every individual is different, and if you saw an experienced injector, he should know what to expect from his injection technique.  If you any doubt, seek a second opinion.

Michael Bowman, MD
Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Question on Glabella Area?

+1

The way Botox is injected, even within the Glabellar area, will vary from doctor to doctor.  In some patients Botox injected in the Glabellar area, if extended slight above the medial part of the eyebrow causes the area to raise slightly.  If you're looking for the tail (outside) of the eyebrow to raise, this can be accomplished with a small amount of Botox placed within that eyebrow segment 

Botox Question on Glabella Area?

+1

When Botox is properly injected into the corrugator muscle the inner brow lifts. The issue is that many inexperienced or minimally trained injectors actually place Botox in the lower part of the frontalis muscle while trying to inject the corrugator. This does result in some decrease in frowning but it can also droop inner portion of the brow. The reason they do this is a lack of anatomical knowledge and a fear that injecting lower will droop the eyelid. You will be best treated by seeking an experienced physician injector. This will typically be a Facial Plastic Surgeon, Oculoplastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist. Botox treatments are incredibly easy to perform but creating beautiful, natural results take alot of experience and trial and error. Avoid being one of those "errors" by finding an experienced injector. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox to glabella area - what happens

+1

Please remember that you saw this doctor in person, so that answer should be more in-line with what your facial structure can expect. We give a lot of generalized answers on here because we aren't looking at photos and certainly aren't seeing people in person. A live consultation with an expert is always going to be best.

In general, injecting the glabella only will relax that area. If you get more units and inject over the eyebrows and across the forehead, yes, you can get more of an overall lift. But Botox needs to be injected into very specific areas for that to happen. Only injecting the glabella area, in general, relaxes that muscle, slightly elevating the lateral brow, possibly, but not creating an overall lift.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox lifts the brows

+1

I disagree with some of the answers posted.  Frankel et. al. published a paper showing that, when done properly, Botox will provide a measurable medial brow lift.  Our group (Maas et. al.) demonstrated a more significant lifting effect when treating the lateral orbital rhytids or Crow's feet area.

In general, depression of the middle or medial eyebrow is the result of incorrect placement of the injections above the corrugators affecting the frontalis muscle and relaxing it - relaxing the muscle (frontalis) that lifts the brows causes the brows to go down.  I have written a number of papers on this topic and given numerous lectures.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon