Botox for Jaw Clenching/Bruxism on Young Patient with Small Jaw?

I am 29 y/o and am curious about Botox to treat the severe pain that I'm in at work and during the day. I have a small, feminine face, and am fearful of my face slimming down too much as a result of the treatment. The clenching gives me extreme headaches and elevates my stress level, plus "Mad Face" and a downturned mouth expression due to the clenching. - Am I too young for this treatment? - Will my jawline slim down too much? - What is the risk to my smile being messed up as a result?

Botox for jaw clenching

+2

at 29 years old, one is not too young for Botox treatment. This treatment should be done by an expert as there are risks with any treatment. See a board-certified ENT facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who does a lot of treatment for TMJ. Usually for clenching, the masseter muscles are treated and the treatment may provide significant relief of symptoms. Discuss the risks with your physician.

Botox and jaw clenching

+2

You aren't too young to have Botox injected into your masseters and it can help, when properly injected for the downturned corners of your mouth. Without seeing you and assessing you in person it's difficult to assess what might be the best plan for you. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Botox for Bruxism/Jaw Clenching

+2

Precise Botox injection in the masseter muscle is an effective treatment of Bruxism, especially if all other treatment had failed, but could make the muscle less bulky. It should be started with low dose and increased until the minimum effective dose is found to prevent excessive atrophy of the muscle. There is no age limit for this treatment. It can affect your smile if the injection is not precisely in the masseter muscle or if too large amount of Botox is needed.

A. H. Nezami, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Clenching jaw

+2

A neurotoxin, such as Botox, is a good option to alleviate the pain associated with clenching.  Although neurotoxins are used often in cosmetic medicine to slim down a jaw line what is strong or pronounced, it can be injected with percision to ensure that your face shape remains unaltered.  If you are at all concerned with the shape of your face being too small or narrow, well placed soft tissue filler can add some volume and still look very natural and feminine.

As for the question "am I too young", I am asked this all the time, and my answer remains the same; if the neurotoxin address the concern (such as this) or is being used as prevention for aging annimation lines, then certainly there is no right age to begin injection therapy.  However, in my practice I will only inject patients of the adult age as my practice focuses purely on cosmetic and not on therapeutic injections.  Many MD's have clinics which specialiize in the therapeutic use of neurotoxins.

Dr. M

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD