Botox and Retin-A?

My frown lines (the 11s) were very bad a few months ago, but since recently starting Retin-A .1% (applying a good dab on these 11s nightly), I started noticing a big improvement with these lines. They’re softening up greatly, although not quite completely gone. Question: When I do get Botox in the glabella area, can I continue using Retin-A as my nightly regime? I’d like to continue my successful skincare maintenance. Please advise. Also, will using Retin-A the night before Botox affect the injection?

Botox and Retin-A?

+1

Thank you for your question. You can definitely continue with your Retin-A after your Botox. Botox will help relax your 11s. I would avoid using Retin-A on the site few days before the Botox treatment to prevent any skin irritation. I would recommend daily use of SPF 30 with zinc especially when using Retin-A, which is a photosensitive medication. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Botox and Retin-A?

+1

Botox affects the underlying muscle while Retin A has a more superficial affect within the dermis of the skin.  There's no issue using both to reduce the unwanted lines and wrinkles.

Using Retin A and Botox for the 11s

+1

Using retin A and Botox is not a contraindication. So, you can still use your nightly regime of retin A and get your Botox.

Retin A and Botox

+1

It sounds like you have come up with a great combination to care for your facial skin.  Botox helps wrinkles from the inside out and Retin A helps from the outside in.  Keep up the good work and I wouldn't worry about using the Retin A the night before or after your Botox nor would I worry about skipping a few days of the Retin A.  Run it by the doctor or nurse who is injecting you and follow their instructions. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Botox® & Retin-A

+1

By using the Retin-A, you are building collagen to stiffen the skin support and reduce the lines between your eyes. You should definitely continue this. Botox® helps by reducing the muscle forces that caused the lines in the first place. It is, therefore, an excellent idea to further improve the area. Botox® and Retin-A have no cross reaction and there is no need to stop the Retin-A in order to get the Botox®. Most of my patients who have Botox® are on Retin-A and I have never seen a reaction. The Retin-A does one other thing. It reduces the skin's outer dead cell layer and makes it easier to absorb topical anesthetic, thus making the Botox® administration more comfortable.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Botox and topical treatments

+1

It's perfectly fine to continue with your Retin-A at night prior to cosmetic Botox injections, and after. Botox is injected into the musculature that contributes to the "eleven's" and your topical treatment wouln't interfere.

Sam Naficy, MD

Using Botox and Retin-A togehter

+1

There should be no  problem of using  Botox and Retin-A together as each works differently and should have no effect on each other.

Retin A and BOTOX

+1

Retin A and Botox alone are great anti-aging treatments.  The two combined just compliment one another.  Botox is injected into the muscle and Retin A is a topical prescription.  The ony reason I would avoid Retin A the day of procedure is from a sensitivity standpoint.  Most of my patients do not stop their Retin A the day of procedure and do just fine.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Botox and Retin-A

+1

Botox is injected into the muscle. Retin-A is topical and affects upper skin layers only. You should avoid using the Retin-A the night after your procedure just due to sensitivity but those two products work at different levels, and complement one another. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Botox and Retin A

+1

Botox and Retin A compliment each other. You can continue your skin care regime, but take a night off when you get your Botox injection.

Todd Ginestra, MD (in memoriam)
Clermont Plastic Surgeon