Would I benefit more with a Blepharoplasty or fillers for my eyebags? (photos)

Same story - I'm tired of being asked if I got any sleep, why do I look so tired, etc. I'm almost 50 yrs old & so full of energy but my eyes tell a different story. I've had fillers before but of course, it wears out after awhile. I'm interested in blepharoplasty but since I have Asian eyes, I'm scared of looking "surprised". Please help

When fillers have failed

and if you have adequate and overly generous fat pads, a lower lid blepharoplasty would be much more beneficial for you.  They are usually done through the inside of the lid and do not make you look surprise in any way.

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Lower kid Asian blepharoplasty

In the early 2000's when fillers arrived on the scene, we went through a period where we were filling every eyelid to avoid the complications of surgery. Of course, volume deficit was not the problem in most people and we pribably used fillers on too many people. We now have a healthy balance between surgery and fillers. In your case, you have some excess skin, some fat bulging, and something I see a lot in Asian lower eyelids, excess muscle under the eyelids. I did a blepharoplasty just like this this morning and I had to conservatively remove a strip of lower orbicularus muscle. About Asian eyelids, they are different but the differences in surgery are minimal and within the capabilities of most competent plastic and oculoplastic surgeons. You don't have to go to an Asian surgeon to get a good result. Besides, most of the differences in anatomy are in the upper eyelid, and the anatomy of the Asian lower eyelid is not much different than any other eyelids (with the exception of what I mentioned above)

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

3701 S Clarkson St
Englewood, CO 80113

Eyelid bags

It may be tempting to try fillers instead of undergoing surgery. However, I am not a fan of fillers for the lower lids. I would perform eyelid surgery to remove the excess fat which us causing the bags.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Asian blepharoplasty

Blepharoplasty would give a more dramatic and longer lasting result. It important to consult with a plastic surgeon that is experienced in Asian blepharoplasty, because the anatomy of the Asian eyelid differs from other races and it is important to preserve a “natural” appearance after surgery.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

225 West Pueblo Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105

Judging by your photos, I believe that upper and lower blepharoplasties would be a much better choice than fillers to the eyelids. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

2100 Webster Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

Lower blepharoplasty or fillers

It appears that you would be best served by a lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning. Although fillers could make some improvement you would most likely achieve a better result with surgery. Of course, this depends on in office consultation.

David F. LaPatka, MD
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

215 Pesetas Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93110

Would I benefit more with a Blepharoplasty or fillers for my eyebags?

It is hard to give you a good recommendation without seeing you.  It is certainly worth your while to get personal consultations from experienced eyelid surgeons. 

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Lower blepharoplasty vs fillers for lower eyelids

Some would benefit from fillers more and others would benefit from surgery more  Fillers are good option to fill the hollow lower eyelid area but a better option for you maybe lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning, where the existing "bags" or fat is repositioned to fill the hollow area underneath it.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Generally speaking, fillers are temporary. Surgery tends to give longer lasting results.
Looking at your picture, you have excess skin along with fat pockets in your lower lids.
You are best served with a standard blepharoplasty with conservative skin excision to your upper eyelids, pending thorough clinical evaluation.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

436 North Bedford Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Blepharoplasty or Fillers

Thank you for your question. Looking at your pictures, you have both loos skin crinkling up under your eyes and you have baggy lower kids from fat herniation. Furthermore, you have a hollowing of your infra orbital rim. For your situation, I would recommend a blepharoplasty procedure where the excess lower lid skin is removed and the extra lower lid fat also removed, followed by using this eyelid fatty tissue to fill in your orbital rim depression. Fillers alone may correct the orbital rim depression, but will not solve the extra skin and fatty tissue. 

Perry Liu, MD

8929 Wilshire Blvd., #400
Beverly Hills, CA 90211