Attending Events After Otoplasty?

Hello, I'm 27 and have a scheduled surgery for Otoplasty on Jan 14th, 2013 with local anesthesia...I have a concert to attend 5 days after surgery (Jan 20th), I really don't want to miss this concert as someone gifted me the ticket and I can't move my surgery date. Will I be ok to attend the concert if I'm very careful? Thanks in advance for your help!

Going Out after Otoplasty: A Timeline

+2

Life goes on, even after otoplasty surgery.  Most patients return to work within a week or less after otoplasty surgery, especially women who can cover their ears with their hair.  For men with short hair, 5 days or so is usually required to have a reduction in swelling and bruising.  Going out in public can be done as soon as the bandages are removed, but most plastic surgeons would recommend wearing a light compression dressing such as a clean beenie or headband.  It would be a good idea to run this by your doctor.  Enjoy the concert!

Attending a concert after otoplasty

+2

Five days after an otoplasty, I would expect you to be able to attend a concert without difficulty. Please keep hearing protection in mind, and ask your surgeon what type of ear plugs he recommends while your ears are healing.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

+2

You should feel well enough to attend a concert in 5 days after otoplasty but make sure it is okay with your surgeon.  I usually have my patients wear a sweat band or cap for a few weeks after surgery to protect the ears and your surgeon may also recommend this.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Attending Events After Otoplasty?

+2

It should be OK to attend a concert five days after an otoplasty. Most surgeons require an elastic headband 24/7 for at least the first week. So the only downside is potentially needing to wear such a dressing at the concert. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

When is it okay to attend events after otoplasty?

+2

Your surgeon would have the most information in regards to your particular procedure, so he or she would be the best person to ask in regards to when you could attend a concert after your otoplasty.  My opinion is that it should be fine to attend a concert five days after your surgery, however, your surgeon may want you to wear some sort of compression device around your ears for a period of time after your procedure.  It's possible that such a device would be needed at the time of your concert.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concert 5 Days after Otoplasty

+1

In general, there are risks of hematoma or trauma to the ears after ear pinning surgery.  Caution in large crowds is always recommended.  Kenneth Hughes, MD ear pinning Los Angeles, CA

Social activities after otoplasty

+1

It is possible to attend a concert 5 days after an otoplasty, however, there will be visible swelling and bruising noted.  There is no way to hide evidence that you had surgery on your ears at 5 days postop.