Asian Rhinoplasty - please clearly list what you would do to achieve my goals and why. (Photo)

About me: - Asian female - Deviated septum & swollen turbinates (allergies) - I tend to overproduce scar tissue & scars take a while to fade - I want minimal risk. In fear of healing poorly, upturned nose, collapsed nose, worsened breathing, etc. Here is what I'm hoping to accomplish with my nose: - Straighten my nose and improve breathing - Smooth out my dorsal hump - Minimally add to my radix - Reduce droopy tip Please clearly list what you would do to achieve these things and why. Thanks!

Hello girl25, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

Based on the single view you have provided:

I would agree that the dorsal hump should be removed, while softening the radix transition with a graft, and refine the tip further. To straighten the nose likely osteotomies will be necessary especially with the hump removal. 

I would seek care from a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Good luck, 

Dr. Shadfar

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, septoplasty and turbinate surgery

The  nose is a three-dimensional structure and only one side view photograph is posted. Based on one image, the hump could be shaved down and a cartilaginous glabellar graft inserted to build up the low bridge. The tip is not drooping in this photograph. All  of the rhinoplasty surgery is considered cosmetic.
A septoplasty  and turbinate surgery  is performed to improve air flow dynamics through the nose which most the documented as medical necessity in your physician's office after a consultation and internal nasal examination.
Functional nasal surgery for breathing and cosmetic nasal surgery can be performed at the same time, however there are 2 completely separate procedures.
For many examples off hump reduction and  glabellar  grafting techniques, please see  the link below

Asian rhinoplasty

More pictures would be helpful! But it seems like you have very clear surgical goals and understand the necessary maneuvers to achieve them. Have your nose evaluated by a board certified facial plastic surgeon with expertise on Asian rhinoplasty and functional rhinoplasty.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty.

You have described well what needs to be done-- refine tip without rotation, hump removal,  radix graft,   nose and reduce turbinates.  Why--because I have done this for 35 years and my patients like their new nose. 

Thank you for your questions but it sounds like you have also answered them at the same time.  Surgery should straighten your septum and improve your breathing, a radix graft would elevate the dorsum and septal cartilage could be used to refine and elevate the tip.  An examination aided by a cath scan would best define how to handle the sinuses and turbinates.

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Augmentation rhinoplasty with minimal risk

Due to your concern about scar formation and healing I recommend you look into fillers as an alternative. It is a safer option but does require repeat injections once a year to keep the desired result. The deviated septum and swollen turbinates can then be addressed separately with a septoplasty and inferior turbinate reduction procedure.

If you are looking for a more permanent solution then a more formal consultation and examination would be required to determine what steps would be required to achieve your goals.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD