Advice: How to Speak to Your Botox Injector?

What is the politically correct way of addressing a Botox injector if the Botox they are about to inject is “properly diluted”? You hear all these scary stories about dishonest Botox injection places (even from credible establishments). Stories about patients being injected with “Bad Botox”. Is there an educated way to discuss beforehand without making the injector feel uncomfortable, should he/she indeed be honest? I ask from a layperson’s point of view and never like hurting people's feelings

How to speak to your Botox injector

+2

This is a very good question, and really, you are doing great research. You should first make sure that you are being injected by a physician, and you should feel good when you enter that office. If they are offering you something that seems "too good to be true", it probably is. Botox costs every injector the same price, so people who offer it for extremely cheap prices, simply can't be diluting it right, or could be getting gray or black market Botox. I never mind when people ask me the concentration I use because I think it means they are a concerned and educated consumer. So, simply ask! If you look also at the Botox website, it will list physicians in your area that buy Botox from them. That will show you who buys legitimate Botox, and then simply ask what kind of dilution protocol they use. A good injector never minds educating and sharing.

Communicating with Botox Injector

+1

Thank you for your question. I would ask your injector what's their standard protocol on reconstituting Botox. You can let your injector know that you hear so many stories about dishonest places and you're just being cautious and usually injectors don’t mind educating patients. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist

Understanding how to discuss Botox with your doctor

+1

Here are some things to know so you can make a knowledgeable decision about Botox:

• Botox is measured in units, not volume. Ask how many units you are going to get; don't accept an answer that is in cc's or by the "syringe" of Botox.
  • It is a powder that is reconstituted with saline. The amount of saline doesn't really matter, it's the number of units that is placed that matters. This means 0.01 cc is one unit if 1 cc of saline is used, or 0.02 cc is one unit if 2 cc is used. The generally accepted amount of saline used ranges from one cc to five cc. Each physician will have a particular dilution they are comfortable using. As long as the number of units given is the correct amount, and the physician is very experienced with the dilution being used, then the dilution doesn't matter.
  • Seek an experienced physician: Ask how many days of the week or month the physician offers Botox. An experienced aesthetic physician will be injecting Botox daily and will go through multiple vials in a day.
  • The dose and pattern of placement of Botox needs to be tailored for each individual. I don't do the exact same thing for each person. Make sure your doctor brings you back for a follow-up visit in about 2 weeks to make sure that the dose and pattern is the right one for you. If they don't do that, then how do they know that they've given you the optimal treatment. 
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. Explain your goals--brow lifting, improving a down-turned smile, etc. An experienced physician will know how to use Botox skillfully to meet your goals, or will know when your goals need to be met with different options.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

How to Speak to Your Botox Injector?

+1

A unit of botox is not a unit of measurement but a unit of efficacy.  The standard recommended dilution is 2.5 cc of saline  per 100 unit vial.  This will yield 4 unit of botox per.1cc.  Ask how it is prepared and how fresh the mixture is.  Botox will lose some of its effectiveness after one week.  

What to discuss with you Botox injector before use?

+1

This is a great question. All injectors should educate their patient before injecting Botox. First, I would ask them to see the box/bottle that the Botox comes in due to black market Botox. The box should have Botox Cosmetic written in purple by Allergan. The bottle has a hologram. Second, Allergan recommends using 2.5cc for dilution. Just don't be afraid to ask.

Speaking tactfully with your Botox treatment provider

+1

That's a very interesting question you pose.  I think the vast majority of physicians would be happy to address your concerns if you just asked them in a sincere and non-accusatory manner.  At most established, board-certified physicians' offices I would be surprised if this is an issue.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

You Need to Worry About Yourself Before You Worry About Your Botox Injector

+1

So let me be sure I am clear about this. You are considering letting a relative stranger inject a toxin into your face and your primary concern is making them feel bad? You seriously need to turn this around 180 degrees and put the concerns of the person getting the toxin injected into their face (i.e. you) first. My recommendation- do your research, choose someone experienced and respected, and then have a very clear. comfortable, honest conversation about your concerns. We all know where our Botox comes from, how we are diluting it, why we are diluting it that way, and why we would use what we are about to use specifically for you.Your injector should not only be able to answer those questions but should want to answer those questions. Regardless of the fact that this has become so routine, it is still a procedure, and no one should undergo a procedure until all of their questions have been answered and they are completely comfortable. Ask your questions. If the response doesn't feel comfortable, hold off and find someone else who does. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and reconstitution

+1

I wouldn't hesitate to ask about your cosmetic Botox treatment. Having the information is your right and every office has a different policy and treatment regime.

Sam Naficy, MD

Selecting a Botox injector

+1

You should never feel uncomfortable asking your injector any question you have.  You are the consumer and your satisfaction should be the most important thing being done while you are there.  Ask the injector for the box the toxin came in – ask them to explain their dilution and techniques – this will make you an educated consumer.  Obviously, be polite and ask in an appropriate way, but do not be afraid to ask any question any time.  The most important thing to always remember – make sure you go to a reputable injector, preferably someone who is either a board certified dermatologist, plastic, facial plastic, or oculoplastic surgeon.  Or be injected in their offices by qualified injectors — but remember, going to someone because their price is cheap is not always the smartest – go to a reputable doc and injector.  It is buyers beware at all times and you need to feel comfortable wherever you are.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Asking important questions for Botox injectors

+1

The art and skill of injecting Botox should be in the hands of a physician who is qualified.  Asking the questions as a consumer is important in understanding your treatment.  As a provider, I feel very confident explaining how I dilute, mix, and inject.  The dialog between you and your provider should be open and frank.  Look for another provider if ever you feel uncomfortable. 

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist