How Will Losing Weight After a Tummy Tuck Affect the Results of the Tummy Tuck?

I've read that loosing weight after a tummy tuck as well as gaining weight can affect the results of the surgery. How will loosing weight affect the results, and where can I see pictures of this? Wouldn't loosing weight improve the results of the tummy tuck?

Weight Loss after cosmetic surgery

+3

As a rule, significant weight loss will be detrimental to your results, no matter the procedure.  Significant= > 10 lbs.

We can't predict for sure the exact result, as we are all different.  You will lose some weight after a large operation, and this does improve the apparant result however.

It is best to be at your target weight BEFORE surgery, and have that weigbht be stable.

sek

Should I or Shouldn't I Lose more weight after my Cosmetic Surgery?

+3

Regarding: "How Will Loosing Weight After a Tummy Tuck Affect the Results of the Tummy Tuck?
I've read that loosing weight after a tummy tuck as well as gaining weight can affect the results of the surgery. How will loosing weight affect the results, and where can I see pictures of this? Wouldn't loosing weight improve the results of the tummy tuck
?"

The motto "Everything in Moderation" certainly applies here. Since we are an obese society where many of us can afford and would look better after losing weight, I do not think that on the average, losing SOME weight would destroy the results of a Tummy Tuck just as most people's faces look better after a mild weight loss. The problem comes after a very large weight loss which causes deflation of the face, abdomen or buttocks. When out fat reserves deflate SUFFICIENTLY (which is individual for each person with NO set number applicable to everybody), we see Facial emptying and sagging as well as skin sagging in other areas as well.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Be at your ideal weight before a tummy tuck.

+2

You should be at your ideal weight before tummy tuck.  Losing massive weight after  may  result in a revision to keep the same look.

Weight loss after a tummy tuck

+2

Generally, it is best if a patient loses most of the weight that they want to lose prior to surgery. You will then obtain a much better and refined result.

Following surgery, with a weight loss, there will be a decrease in the fat layer which may help with contour. With greater loss, you will have far less fat stretching out the same amount of skin which will ultimately lead to some relative laxity of this skin.

How much is too much? This is variable from person to person. On average, probably 20 pounds or less shouldn't have a substantial overall effect on the skin.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Weight Loss After A Tummy Tuck is Usually Beneficial To The Result

+2

Losing weight after a tummy tuck, in most cases, is a benefit to the result already obtained. But it depends on how much weight one may be losing and where one started out to begin with. In the 'typical' tummy tuck patient who is not significantly overweight, a 10 to 15 lb weight loss will be nothing but complementary to the result. But if one had an abdominal panniculectomy, for example, where many patients are more overweight at the time of surgery then a 20 to 35 weight loss or more will cause some extra abdominal skin to develop afterwards. With all of that being said, it is hard to imagine how any amount of weight loss after a tummy tuck is not helpful for most patients even if it does create a little extra loose skin.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+2

Yes both losing or gaining weight can cause changes to the results of a tummy tuck.  For most patient, losing less than 20-25 pounds will not adversely affect the results of a tummy tuck.  In fact, many patient often see an improvement with modest weight loss.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight Changes After Tummy Tuck

+2

Obviously both weight gain and weight loss can have an effect on the results of a tummy tuck, especially if they are significant in amount.  The best way of dealing with this is to be at or near your ideal weight at the time of your abdominoplasty.

John Whitt, MD

Weight loss after tummy tuck

+2

Losing weight after a tummy tuck may impact the final results especially if you are planning to lose a lot of weight.

How Will Loosing Weight After a Tummy Tuck Affect the Results of the Tummy Tuck?

+2

If you lose less than 20 pounds than there SHOULD be minimal effect. over 20 pounds the skin could start hanging. Why not try to be an ideal weight before the surgery??? From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. BLINSKI

Losing 10-20 pounds accentuates the tummy tuck

+2

If you lose some weight after a TT you will only look better.  if the weight loss gets over say 30-40 pounds, you might begin to see laxity again.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS